Stepped Male inlay Question

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Verucktjim2
Model of CNC Machine: Multicam And Desktop pro

Stepped Male inlay Question

Post by Verucktjim2 »

Hello, I am trying to figure out why Aspire has to do 4 passes on one letter to do a stepped male inlay?
Am I missing something? It feels like it is doing extra work. I use a Enroute 4 at work and even though the interface to create a stepped male inlay is a little confusing it only takes 2 passes.
Please help. Thank you.

Martin Reid
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Re: Stepped Male inlay Question

Post by Martin Reid »

Dear 'Jim?'

You can adjust the Pass Depth in the Cutting Perameters when selecting or editing a tool from Toolpath Operations.

Sincerely and in good faith
Martin

Verucktjim2

Post by Verucktjim2 »

Hi Martin, Thank you for the quick reply. I didnt explain myself propoerly. The path for the shoulder I was able to get it down to 2 passes at the same depth then 1 pass for the cut thru. I set the step over to 100 percent guess I could of gone down to 90 percent in order to get this down to 3 passes total.
This is a 9 inch tall letter out of 1/4" inch acrylic. Height of shoulder would be 063" high and .11" wide.
I am guessing this is the best can do?
Thanks again for your help Jimmy.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Not quite sure I understand what you are doing, but It looks like you were trying to get the machine to cut a wider pocket per pass than it was previously if you have increased the step over. Easiest way would have been to just use a larger bit :lol: :lol: :lol:

Verucktjim2

Post by Verucktjim2 »

Is there a way to get a push thru letter cut in just 2 passes total? One for shoulder and one to cut through acrylic. I am sending file that has 3 passes. Can you get it down to 2 passes Thank you.
Attachments
T Shoulder pass in 3 passes.crv3d
(232 KiB) Downloaded 103 times

Martin Reid
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Post by Martin Reid »

Dear Jimmy

Following on from Martin54

I've had another look and even if the cutter diameter is smaller than the Step Width (w) as long as the 'Cutting Parameter' pass depth is greater than > (Cut Depth (c) - Step depth (d)). The "Stepped Male Inlay - Insert" Toolpath will always create two passes - granted the first pass may go round more than once. Once for the step and one to cover the cut out. If you are getting 3 passes then use a larger cutter and check the 'Cutting Parameter' pass depth.

The first pass to create the step width (w) will always be at least two revolutions once for the step width rebate and once to cover the cut out.

Again sincerely and in good faith
Martin
Cutter Larger than Step Width (w) 2 Pass 2 Revolutions
Cutter Larger than Step Width (w) 2 Pass 2 Revolutions
Cutter Smaller than Step Width (w) 2 Pass 3 Revolutions
Cutter Smaller than Step Width (w) 2 Pass 3 Revolutions