TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Rotary Axis Laser

Post by TReischl »

Here are a couple of shots of a test I ran earlier today:
20180325_110820_1522012532621.jpg
20180325_110835_1522012532358.jpg
The piece is about 3.5 inches in diameter. The laser is a 2.5w (2500 mw). The feedrate was 40 IPM. Cutting time was 17 minutes.

The first pic is of some Dover clipart that I auto traced. The second is some vector clipart.

There is a bit of a process to doing this. It is NOT a good idea to run a finish pass and then start laser engraving. The results are much better if the piece is sanded after the finish pass. In this case I sanded to 400 grit. Pretty easy to do. One way is to just enter a manual command to do about 50K rotations and then the piece can be sanded on the rotary axis. I prefer to just move the chuck and all onto my lathe and do it there. After engraving, a light sanding is required to remove the smudging and make it crisp.

BTW, I discovered my dust collector works great for removing the smoke. Who'd a thunk? It is a Jet 1100 with a pleated cartridge. Evidently that cartridge with all the fine dust caked up inside removes smoke. I could not smell or see any in the shop after cutting. But it was fun watching it get sucked up.

Soooo, this laser thing is working out very well!

Edit: The dark spots on the lettering are not caused by the beam turning on, it is just that the little loops are close together and it looks like a black blob in the pic. Also, I did not sand the lettering very much after engraving. :::::sigh::::
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Rotary Axis Laser

Post by mtylerfl »

Very cool experiment. Lots of potential there for sure!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC