Preview speed & Node direction

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
pknvectric
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra & StingerI

Preview speed & Node direction

Post by pknvectric »

When I make a cut of many identical vectors (200 6" long pocket cuts) the software is not adhering to my chosen NODE starting points.

Unfortunately, the PREVIEW process moves so quickly I cannot even verify if the toolpath thinks it is running correctly or not. Even on the slowest setting (slider dragged all the way to the left) the cuts just "appear" on the screen so I cannot even see which direction they are cutting. (Yes, I tried using the RETRACT button but it doesn't help.) I am using "VERY HIGH" modeling resolution, "ANIMATE PREVIEW" and "DRAW TOOL". Is there any other way to slow it down further???

Back to the original issue: Does the software sometimes ignore chosen NODE starting points??? I imagine I can grab a section of the drawing which IS cutting the proper direction and copy/paste to get it to do it properly but I hate not understanding why the software isn't behaving as I expect it to...

Suggestions?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Preview speed & Node direction

Post by Adrian »

Pocket toolpaths don't have an option to use different start points. If you're using a profile toolpath then make sure the Start At tab is set to Keep Current Start Points.

pknvectric
Vectric Apprentice

Post by pknvectric »

I don't see a "Start At" tab on the Profile toolpath screen.? Screenshot?

re: the Pocket toolpath not using nodes for start points: Why does it cut some of them in the direction I want and others it cuts in the opposite direction? Something must be controlling this choice, right?

I see "Use vector start points (don't optimize)" option. Is this what you are referring to?

So, there is no way to slow down the PREVIEW process further??
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 1.52.44 PM.png

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

pknvectric wrote:I don't see a "Start At" tab on the Profile toolpath screen.?

re: the Pocket toolpath not using nodes for start points: Why does it cut some of them in the direction I want and others it cuts in the opposite direction? Something must be controlling this choice, right?

I see "Use vector start points (don't optimize)" option. Is this what you are referring to?
Make SURE you have the "Show advanced toolpath options" turned on (click the box in the toolpath panel to put a checkmark in it)

pknvectric wrote:So, there is no way to slow down the PREVIEW process further??
When I drag the slider to the left, the toolpath preview slows down more than plenty for me. All the way to the left is s-l-o-w. I am not sure why you're not getting the same result.

How about posting your file so we can take a look at it. Saves time guessing...and guessing...and guessing...
Attachments
advanced-toolpath-options.png
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

pknvectric
Vectric Apprentice

Post by pknvectric »

Strange. I don't have a "Start At" tab. I have an "Order" tab. I am using version 8.511. Is this "Start At" tab something new in v9?

Yes, my toolpath preview is simply too fast. It moves so quickly I cannot even see which direction the tool is moving sometimes...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 10.34.35 PM.png

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

With version 8.5 make sure you have the "Use vector start points (don't optimize)" checkbox checked on the profile toolpath. The Start At tab is an expanded version of that that came in on later versions.