Angling the side edges of a Pentagon

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Soapyjoe
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Heiz High Z Machine German manufacture

Angling the side edges of a Pentagon

Post by Soapyjoe »

Hi Everybody,

I wish to produce a set of Pentagons with say 70mm sides about 12mm thick.

All the edges I need to angle at say 30 degrees to the face of the Pentagon.

Sounds simple but I am struggling.

Is there any vectric gadget or simple method of achieving this?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Angling the side edges of a Pentagon

Post by Adrian »

I take it you want to do these as 2.5D and the 30 degrees refers to the slope in the Z?

Use the Polygon tool to create a 2D vector (60mm radius should give 70mm sides) and then cut them out using a V-bit of the correct angle. Make sure to select Sharp Corners on the toolpath.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Moulding toolpath on the toolpath side.

Draw a side view of your board with a 30 degree line across it to use as your profile. Offset the pentagon inside by the horizontal width of the 30 degree line. Pick that interior offset pentagon perimeter as your drive rail.

To get the toolpath to cut all the way through your board you may need to lie to the software and tell it your board is thicker than it actually is. Minimally by the radius of the ball nose bit you use for this moulding toolpath. The 30 degree line may need to extend the same amount past the bottom of your board.

4D

randyr
Model of CNC Machine: Speedline (Carl Bruce)

Post by randyr »

The chamfer gadget could also be used.

Soapyjoe
Vectric Wizard

Post by Soapyjoe »

Hi Randyr,

Yes, just this morning discovered the gadget following your remark a day or so ago.

I have only been playing with it for a very short time.... And it seems quite fine for the job I have in mind at the moment but tell me.....

How do I reverse the side that the chamfer cuts along a line ?

I have a particular job in mind where I need to cut alternate sides of a Hexagon to slightly chamfer the edges to different values.

I did a very quick trial this afternoon with very mixed results.

randyr
Model of CNC Machine: Speedline (Carl Bruce)

Post by randyr »

Hi Soapyjoe,

Well...I have to admit I've only used it on closed polygons....and it worked the way I expected it to.

So...I spent some time playing around with just single lines. There didn't seem to be anyway to predict/control which side of the line it angled. Then I decided to change the start point to the other end of the line...and...it worked! So...if the angle is on the wrong side, change the start point (switch to node mode, select a line, the start point will be green. move the cursor to the other end, right click and select "make start point"...or just hit "p"). Learn something new every day. Thanks for posting the question.

And per your question on the other thread...yes...I'm familiar with Great Stella. Wonderful program...used it a lot when I was into making polyhedra. Although that was before I had a CNC router and was using a table saw and miter-saw to make the cuts.

randy

Soapyjoe
Vectric Wizard

Post by Soapyjoe »

Hi Randy,

Thanks..... I had suspected that with fiddling about with the direction of the line that may be the clue... but with other everyday life commitments had not really got around to trying it out.

Just made a very quick trial with the gadget and now, with your good advice, I feel more in control.

I wonder why there are no instructions, about it, on the gadget itself ?

Thanks once again .... keep in touch!

Joseph alias Soapyjoe