This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
tim mck
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Kimla CNC

Door bead problems

Post by tim mck »

Door profile.JPG
Hi,
I am trying to re-create a small 6mm bead for a door profile on a high quality HD board that is to be painted.
I have attached a image of a wood door that show the affect I am struggling with. Where the 6mm bead runs to a stop, the shape has been smoothed out with the natural rotation of the router cutter and this is the affect i need to copy.
I have used the moulding toolpath tool many times with great success to make beads using a small 1.6mm straight cutter with a small step over on flat sheet. However its only going to give me a natural stop and other that sanding it by hand i don't know of any other way.
Anyone with any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Tim

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Re: Door bead problems

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Tim,

Can't you simply pretend in Aspire that your material is thicker than the actual one? You will have some air cut, but it should do the trick and produce this natural stop.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Not to be a curmudgeon, but. . . .

That is an example of trying to do a beaded cope on a door without the proper tools or know how. That said, I am sure it can be called a "design feature".

Why not just run it on a router table with a bit made to do it?
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

tim mck
Vectric Apprentice

Post by tim mck »

Yes,.... fully aware of the design feature and i would say that this door has been made in the very same way that you have described.

However i need to do the same design on a 25mm flat sheet on the machine bed working with different tooling, as i don't have a 4th Axis. The door pocket is easy, and its not to hard to recreate the round bead, i just don't know how to simulate the curve of the router tool where the bead runs to the end. The way i do it it comes to a natural stop.
I not so sure also that increasing the Z height will give the affect.
Tim

phill05
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Hybrid re-build

Post by phill05 »

Tim,

Create a toolpath as long as you need with radius ends set depth of cut to 0, off set to depth you need in door style, touch off the cutter to work and away you go, the cutter will ride in & out on the radius ends.

I have just done same to cut some gears.

Phill
door mold.PNG
A person who works with his hands, his brain and his heart is an artist"
—Louis Nizer

pro70z28
Vectric Craftsman

Post by pro70z28 »

I've never used this feature, but there's a ramp setting that if I understand it right, ramps the bit in and out of the material on start/stop, moving X or Y at the same time Z is going down. If I'm explaining or understanding that right. That should give you that fade feature.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Why would you want to duplicate something that is done incorrectly in the first place?

A properly constructed door would have the bead running around the corner, which would look much better.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

If the board (door) if flat, then using the fluting toolpath on a straight line can ramp in at the beginning and end and run full depth the rest of the way. Use a veining bit with the roundover blade matching the bed radius you want. The result should look just like the same image you posted.
Fluted bead edge.jpg
4D

tim mck
Vectric Apprentice

Post by tim mck »

Well,
Thanks for all the feedback... including Gerry's. I am sorry the design doesn't meet to your approval, but don't shoot the CNC guy ... Shoot the designer please!!
These are for large wall panels also doors. Very Georgian is its styling. Between the ramping and the fluting tooling from 4D thinker and what i already had ideas on of my own, i think i have a cunning plan.
Thanks for all you help.... even Gerry's, as it did bring a smile to me face.
Tim