Help with Tabs on 2 sided cutting

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
tjop92

Help with Tabs on 2 sided cutting

Post by tjop92 »

Hello,

I am completely new to the software and have been trying to figure out how to get the two sided cutting set up for the attached slices. I am having an issue with getting tabs set up that don't get cut away. I am trying to get both sides machined so the finished product can have as much detail as possible. My concern is that the piece will get fully cut out and no longer be held in place. Is anyone able to help me or show me how to do this?

I sliced the model into .75" thick slices, which is my material thickness. If I want both sides machined what should I set my over cut depth to?

Here is a link to the slices.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uaSBos ... zAXQh/view

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Re: Help with Tabs on 2 sided cutting

Post by ohiolyons »

I've never sliced anything before, but several questions come to mind.

1 did you watch the tutorial on slicing?

2 did you watch the tutorial on double sided machining?

3 are you using 3 d tabs?
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

tjop92

Post by tjop92 »

I should clarify. I sliced the 3D model before importing it into Aspire. That way it was the exact thickness I needed. So no slicing was done in Aspire.

1) I did watch the tutorial on slicing, but found it wouldn't work for what I was doing, so I sliced the model pre-import into Aspire so that I could just do a two sided machining operation.

2) I did watch the tutorial on double sided machining and followed it to get my model set up, but when I try to set up the tabs it just cuts right through them. Where in the tutorial it does not cut them out.

3) Yes, just like in the tutorial I am using a 3D tab from the clip art selection to create it.

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

4 zero/limit plane?

I went to download your files and their are 9 stl files and no crv3d files

we need the crv3d files to diagnose your issue only one is required
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

My first thought without seeing the file is that your profile cut is using just the sliced model without the tabs included.

So if you are doing a profile cut and the outline is only the sliced model, that is your problem.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

When I have a 2-sided cut, and am using a profile with tabs, I make the tabs more than half the material thickness. Put them in the same place on the other side. For a 3/4" board I make the tabs 3/8"+half of how thick I want them when done. For a 1/8" thick ending tab add 1/16" to the 3/8". Use the same tab thickness on the second side, and you'll end up with a 1/8" thick tab in the middle of your stock edges.

4D

tjop92

Post by tjop92 »

Hello,

Please forgive my ignorance but I am unfamiliar with that file format. Is that what Aspire saves it's files as? Or do I need to convert the STLs over to that format?

"I went to download your files and their are 9 stl files and no crv3d files

we need the crv3d files to diagnose your issue only one is required"

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

On two-sided cuts, do not use the profile cut. As illustrated in the pictures, set up the Tabs, Limit planes and Model on three different levels. To get the tabs, go to clipart, under 3D tabs, select the one you want and drag to where you want it on the model. Right click and copy to other side, which so far I've seen is as a necessary step. In the limit plane (zero plane), put a negative number, which will be the distance of any overcut. If there is no overcut needed, still put at least 1/8" so it will cut past the bottom of the side. The Limit plane is the plane on the bottom of each side, not the bottom of the material. Since you're only cutting the model level, it will leave the tabs. I hope I explained it okay.

Gary
Attachments
Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG
Capture4.JPG