Two sided cutting of 3D slices

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
tjop92

Two sided cutting of 3D slices

Post by tjop92 »

Hello,

I am trying to figure out if I am able to do two sided cutting with a sliced 3D model. Basically I want both sides of each slice machined so that it is missing half of its detail. So I have been trying to slice the model and figure out how to then machine both sides, but have been struggling to figure it out. I attached a link to the file I am trying to work with below if you want to take a look at it. But ideally I would like to slice the 3D model and then cut one side then flip it over and cut the other side so that both sides are "finished." Is anyone able to assist me? Any help is greatly appreciated.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1378720

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Re: Two sided cutting of 3D slices

Post by mezalick »

This can't be done with your model because of the undercut of the model..

Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

tjop92

Post by tjop92 »

I realize that it can't do the undercuts, but I was hoping that it could machine the top closer to what it needs to be. Currently if there is any undercut or curve it just leaves a straight cut down. I want to try and define it with two sided cutting. Like how the front face is defined. I attached an image to show you what I am talking about. I know that I can't get the underlays and things, but I was hoping to get definition on both sides.
Attachments
Straight cuts.PNG

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Pictured is one slice of the elephant head I posted a few weeks back. There was a total of five slices, where I double-sided cut each slice. Each slice was saved as a separate stl file. I did the slices in Netfabb, but there's other software that can do the slice and repairs. Once sliced it needs to be repaired (the sliced part needs to be closed). If you look at my post http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... ad#p210994 , it tells more about it.

There's no reason why you can't do the same with the model you referred for Thingiverse, in fact, that's cool, I may want to do one.

Gary
Attachments
Capture 3.JPG
Capture4.JPG

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

I would still doubt it, because I think the back "texture" on the one slice would be hidden by the second higher slice,,,,therefore creating the "no undercut" law...
You may need to do some hand work to get the effect you're looking for.
Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

The part that can't be machine from one side, just slice it the opposite way. In the case of this tiger I did, I could get the face, so I sliced that head portion of the the front side, cut back the two sides of the body on the band saw, then glued on the head.
Attachments
img
img

Hermie
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: custom

Post by Hermie »

Okay so correct me if I’m wrong but could you maybe do that as a let’s say,six sided project, and use a rotary axis or a jig. You just have to rotate the model 3 times. Then you would get most of the undercuts, there would still be some hand work but hey that’s the fun part

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Okay so correct me if I’m wrong but could you maybe do that as a let’s say,six sided project, and use a rotary axis or a jig. You just have to rotate the model 3 times.
Sounds like you're making it harder than it needs to be. In the case of the tiger, you see I sliced three times horizontally. Because I couldn't mill the face portion, I sliced that portion and machined that. When I was gluing it up, using a band saw, I cut out that section and fit it in.

Gary
Attachments
tiger parts.jpg