Textured Tool Path

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Larry Cessna
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laquna Swift

Textured Tool Path

Post by Larry Cessna »

All
I am having an issue with tileing a textured tool path. When I move the board down the Y it is not exactly level so I get a line down the X at the meeting point. I was wondering of I could stage the overlap so it is not noticeable. Any thoughts.

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Re: Textured Tool Path

Post by ohiolyons »

Not certain what "...stage the overlap..." means?

When you say "...not exactly level...", is the wood warped, cupped or twisted?

Vectric software is great, but it is unrealistic for it to handle undefined warping, cupping or twisting stock.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

when you say it's not level is there a reason for that as ohioiyons has already asked? Would it be possible to make it level using clamps & shims ? a picture would be helpful :lol: :lol:
is it not level just in the one area ? You may get better results by decreasing the size of the tiles, means more moving of the stock but would change the position of the joins, you may also be able to get better results by altering the overlap on the tiles :lol:

fixtureman
Vectric Wizard

Post by fixtureman »

Is your table top flat or is one end higher than the other. You should surface the top before you try your cut

Larry Cessna
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Larry Cessna »

All
I am cutting 4x8 sheets of HDU. I have a 4x4 table so it hangs off the edge. I do prop up the overhang and level it as best I can but even a 16th makes a line. When I tile a textured tool path it stops at the same place in the y. Even if I do an overlap it stops at the same place. What I would like to do is convert the texture tool path so it stops at random locations.
See pic attached. The top would hide uneven in the texture patterns. The bottom would have a noticeable line.
Attachments
toolpath.jpg

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Buy a set of roller stands, you should be able to set the material perfectly flat, I cut 8 x 4 sheets on my machine & my Y axis is only 730mm so means 4 tiles, bit of a pain & I have to use roller stands at back & front of machine at the same time :lol: :lol:
Unfortunately a bigger machine isn't really an option for me but I have lost count of the number of times I have wished for one :lol: :lol:

Larry Cessna
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Larry Cessna »

I will try the roller stands. Thanks