Problem with tool database

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
jhowelb
Model of CNC Machine: home built

Problem with tool database

Post by jhowelb »

My copy of Aspire has decided that I shouldn't be allowed to modify a tool nor create a new one.
There is no error message number, just failed to save tool!
Will someone please enlighten this old man before I blow a mental fuse?

eph210
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1 and Mabel, both with 4 axis

Re: Problem with tool database

Post by eph210 »

This tutorial goes through the toolbase and adding or modifying tools.
http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V9 ... ideo_id=83
Perhaps you will see something that shows why it is not working for you.
Euan

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Does this happen with any tool or just with certain sections like the form tools ? Have you tried copying a tool making some changes & then applying those changes ?
With form tools you can't create a tool that would give you an undercut, the software will not allow that but that is more than likely covered in the tutorial :lol:

jhowelb

Post by jhowelb »

Decided to take the bull by the horn's.
Aspire is installed on the second machine in my office and it will take tool database changes. So I can copy the database files from that machine onto a thumb drive then take the thumb drive to the shop and replace the database files on the shop machine with copy and paste. If the problem is file corruption for some unknown reason this may take care of it.
Worst case scenario I can just re-install as fire from the bottom up.

jhowelb

Post by jhowelb »

martin54 wrote:Does this happen with any tool or just with certain sections like the form tools ? Have you tried copying a tool making some changes & then applying those changes ?
With form tools you can't create a tool that would give you an undercut, the software will not allow that but that is more than likely covered in the tutorial :lol:
This problem won't allow me to make any changes to any tool anywhere in the database nor can I create copy or otherwise manipulate any new tools.

I can go through all the procedures for copying or creating new tools but when it comes time to save the changes the database fails on the save, no update no joy !

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Is the database file read only?
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

jhowelb

Post by jhowelb »

ger21 wrote:Is the database file read only?
Well yes I don't know you could write to the database from aspire but not by any other editor. Database files can be copied pasted drag and drop but only written two from a program..

Toting replacement files out of the shop by way of a thumb drive and then drag and drop into the proper folders which by the way are hidden files did the trick! Problem solved all is happy In CNC land once again. Just in time I'm almost bald from picking my hair !