Transitioning between components

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
ThatGuyJosh
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot D2418

Transitioning between components

Post by ThatGuyJosh »

Hi guys,
I've only had Aspire for a few weeks and there is a lot to learn, I'm struggling with something in particular that I'm hoping someone can help me navigate through. I build guitars and am trying to move my operation to the CNC, I received a neck file from someone but the shape on the back of the neck is wrong, so I'm trying to learn how to make it myself so that I can change the neck carve and mold it into the headstock and heel. I've figured out how to make the flat shapes and the neck carve seperately, and can get the dimensions correct after playing around with the two rail sweep, but I can't get the components to merge together smoothly. I need to know if there's a good way to do this (I played with the sculpting tool but didn't seem too efficient) with the shapes I have or if I need to create intermediate shapes between the 3 components I already have. Here's a pic of what I currently have and what I'm aiming for, excuse me if I don't use the big terminology that some of y'all use, I'm still feeling my way around this program. Thanks again!!
Attachments
neck1.PNG
neck2.PNG

joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Re: Transitioning between components

Post by joeporter »

Make cross sections of the model you want to use and use these as your shapes for your 2 rail sweep. You can have as many shapes as you want. You may have to make a vector boundary around the model you want to copy first. One thing that I have found with my lower power computer is when I do sculpting with the smooth tool, is to use a lower resolution power. This makes things go a lot quicker and the results will be the same after machining...joe
Attachments
Vector Boundary.JPG
Cross Section.JPG

ThatGuyJosh
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot D2418

Post by ThatGuyJosh »

Nice, thanks Joe. I played with it for a second real quick and it's definitely taking me down the right path, now I just need to play with the merging commands to get it smoother and figure out the shapes that I need. And then it seems like regardless I'll have to use the sculpting toolpath to make the transition perfectly smooth, which is fine, still faster than a palm sander! I feel like every time I watch the videos I learn a couple new things, I guess I'll just keep watching, but I'm thankful for your help, I probably never would have figured that out.
Attachments
anotherneck.PNG

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by ohiolyons »

There was a real nice demo of this at the Vegas Hootenanny

Don't know if Vectric has made it available yet?
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

ohiolyons wrote:There was a real nice demo of this at the Vegas Hootenanny

Don't know if Vectric has made it available yet?
The 2017 user group meeting hasn't been made available for general viewing yet to my knowledge, no idea how long it normally is before they add them to the training section.

ThatGuyJosh the tutorials may be of more benefit to you if you download the tutorial files & work along with the videos rather than just watching them, dual monitor set up helps with this if you have access to one.

Many of the tools within the software will take some time & practice to be able to use them proficiently, the sculpting tool I believe is one of them, long way off being an expert with it myself but I am slowly getting better :lol: :lol: :lol: