Simple toolpath question for everyone but some modeling software...

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DWC2440,TaigCNCMill,Dellta3003d, Epilog

Simple toolpath question for everyone but some modeling software...

Post by TSM2018 »

I am stumped.
I have a board with 1/2" depth of material.
I want to remove .25" of material surrounding the text.

A V Carve tool path makes sense, but I can't select an endmill, the software is saying NO, it V-Carve, therefore dumb user, you use a V-Carve Bit... Seems reasonable.

Rectangle
Matt's Collectibles

Remove material surrounding text.
ONLY Letters remain at .5" -- the depth of the board
Wish to remove material surrounding text.

Unable to Complete Basic task.

I've tried to select the boundary of the rectangle and the text...do I put the text in another boundary?

I am easily able to bring the letters down .25", but not able to remove material surrounding text.
Your help is most appreciated.

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Simple toolpath question for everyone but some modeling software...

Post by TSM2018 »

Someone always has to try and do the opposite of the norm. Sorry. I thought I had it solved and found my vcarve bits, but it did not work.

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman

Post by TSM2018 »

I eliminated all my trial tool paths. The modeling created of the letters is what I wanted.
Attachments
Matt's Collectibles.crv3d
(511.5 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

Not sure I completely understand you, but looking at your file, if you select both the text AND the rectangle at the same time, I think you can accomplish what you want. A carving toolpath is definitely not the right tool for this.

There are a couple of ways to proceed.

1. If you want the look of a vcarve (see below) then use a v-carve toolpath with both the rectangle and letters selected. Check the "Flat Depth" checkbox, and set a flat depth of .25". It is also probably best to check "Use Flat Area Clearance Tool" and select some kind of end-mill to hog out the flat areas so that the v-carve bit won't have to remove as much material. It will look something like this (first picture is with a 90-degree v-bit and the second is a 60-degree v-bit)
vcarve 90 degree.JPG
vcarve 60 degrees.JPG
2. You can also use a pocketing toolpath if you want straight sides on the letters. Similar process, but use end mills instead of a v-cutter. If I use a 1/8" end mill with a 1/4" clearance tool, it looks something like this (Note that there are run-together letters because they are too small for the 1/8 bit to clean up between the letters):
Pocket with 1-8 em.JPG
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

plcamp
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built wooden machine - Mach3/Aspire

Post by plcamp »

dealguy11 wrote:Not sure I completely understand you, but looking at your file, if you select both the text AND the rectangle at the same time, I think you can accomplish what you want. A carving toolpath is definitely not the right tool for this.

There are a couple of ways to proceed.

1. If you want the look of a vcarve (see below) then use a v-carve toolpath with both the rectangle and letters selected. Check the "Flat Depth" checkbox, and set a flat depth of .25". It is also probably best to check "Use Flat Area Clearance Tool" and select some kind of end-mill to hog out the flat areas so that the v-carve bit won't have to remove as much material. It will look something like this (first picture is with a 90-degree v-bit and the second is a 60-degree v-bit)
The attachment vcarve 90 degree.JPG is no longer available
The attachment vcarve 60 degrees.JPG is no longer available
2. You can also use a pocketing toolpath if you want straight sides on the letters. Similar process, but use end mills instead of a v-cutter. If I use a 1/8" end mill with a 1/4" clearance tool, it looks something like this (Note that there are run-together letters because they are too small for the 1/8 bit to clean up between the letters):
The attachment Pocket with 1-8 em.JPG is no longer available
Another tool choice would be a 1-flute engraving cutter ie: 45° with a 0.020 or 0.030 flat at the tip. These cutters produce stunning results. Search for 'Stacked text' or Text on Text' for more info.
Attachments
20171025_195459.jpg