Help Aspire 9 Gcode to MAch 3

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
stylz730
Model of CNC Machine: 3040t

Help Aspire 9 Gcode to MAch 3

Post by stylz730 »

I am having an issue with when I create a design the measurements are not the same. For instance I create a point that is .70" wide by 12" tall. I double check the measurements in aspire and all is correct but when I run the g code in Mach 3 it is 5/8" shorter. I have checked my calibration in Mach 3 and it is spot on. I noticed this because my board was exactly 12" in and it stopped short of the end. Any help would be appreciated.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Help Aspire 9 Gcode to MAch 3

Post by Adrian »

Double check that the machine really does move, for example, 10" if you tell it to move 10" with Mach3. If that's correct then you may be losing steps by pushing the machine too hard. To verify that do the same 12" cut but set the z above the surface.

Only other thing I can think of is the type of toolpath you created. Did it go 12" in the preview?

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

The easiest way to trouble shoot a problem like this is to READ the g code. It is not difficult.

Doing that eliminates the issue of whether it is the software or a machine problem.

I will give you a huge hint here: It is extremely likely you are having a machine issue.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Have a look at the toolpath preview, if that is correct then the problem is more that likely either your mach3 set up or a machine issue, lots of people using vectric software with mach3 without any problems what so ever :lol: :lol:
I ran mach3 for 3 or 4 years without any issues, switched to other control software when I upgraded the motion control on the machine :lol:

stylz730

Post by stylz730 »

Like I stated previous I have checked my machine and it is calibrated correctly. 12" is 12" in Mach 3 and the movement of my y axis on my machine. The machine is not the issue. I have added some pic showing the layout design vs the tool path . You can even see where the tool path cuts the piece correctly even thought the measurement of the layout is bigger. The work piece is 12" long I had to make the layout 13.1" in order to cut the pieces 12" as shown in the tool path . I have also added the G-code for the piece.
Attachments
1.PNG
2.PNG
70 point male.txt
(36.8 KiB) Downloaded 191 times

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Could you post the file you are using, that will help the board experts with identifying your problem :lol: :lol:

Don't decide that it isn't the machine just because it moves the correct distance on a calibration check, lots of other issues that are machine related that could possibly be giving you a problem such as lost steps which can happen for a number of different reasons.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

As Martin says we really need to see the CRV3D file to see what toolpaths are being used and how the vectors are laid out.

To me it looks like the tool you are using is too big to fit within the points of the vector. If you turn on the solid rather than wireframe toopath option you will see where the tool can reach.

stylz730

Post by stylz730 »

I can post the file later when I get home. I use this machine for may other things and I don't see this issue. If I were loosing steps I would see it in other projects as well as calibrations. If I enter 12" and my axis moves 12" then there is no lost step and it repeats itself correctly every time. I have plenty of other files that this does not come to play in only this one. I am sure it has something to do with coming to a sharp point but I would think it would limit it when I have a tool size selected.

stylz730

Post by stylz730 »

Adrian,

I will get the file later. I agree that I think it has to do with that but normally when that case comes up where a tool will not fit in the path it will not let you calculate or will at least come up with a warning stating so.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

stylz730 wrote: I am sure it has something to do with coming to a sharp point but I would think it would limit it when I have a tool size selected.
Is the point being rounded off?
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

stylz730

Post by stylz730 »

ger21 wrote:
stylz730 wrote: I am sure it has something to do with coming to a sharp point but I would think it would limit it when I have a tool size selected.
Is the point being rounded off?

Yes the point is rounded off

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Definitely NOT the software.

After a quick look I found these two cutting motions in the Y axis:

N6900G1X-1.3428Y5.9399

N7000G1X-0.8999Y-5.9588

The difference between those two is about .1 less than a 12 inch move. So the machine is being told to move almost 12 inches (you have to factor in the cutter diameter, that is why it is not an exact 12 inch move).

So it looks like those points are definitely an issue.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

stylz730 wrote:Adrian,

I will get the file later. I agree that I think it has to do with that but normally when that case comes up where a tool will not fit in the path it will not let you calculate or will at least come up with a warning stating so.
You will only get that warning if the entire toolpath can't be generated. If the tool can fit into some parts and not others then you won't get a warning.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Make sure that in General Config, you have "Stop CV on Angles" checked, and set it to 89 degrees.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

If I were loosing steps I would see it in other projects as well as calibrations.

If you are cutting other projects then no it is probably not losing steps, but just because it doesn't show up when you calibrate the machine it doesn't mean that you are not losing steps :lol: :lol:
When you calibrate the machine using mach3 the axis are moving freely with very little resistance so unless you have a serious problem then it may not show up. Once you start cutting & apply more resistance to the axis moving there are a number of things that may cause you to lose steps like trying to cut to fast, to deep or a coupler that isn't quite tight enough just for starters :lol: :lol:

The board experts can often pinpoint something like that from the file which is why I suggested you post it for them to see :lol: