only cutting single pass on toolpath

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
mbthomsen4444
Model of CNC Machine: Vision Series 3

only cutting single pass on toolpath

Post by mbthomsen4444 »

in Aspire 9.0 , On my material 0.250" thick , 8x10", I create my dish shape (1" diameter a small animal) properly , 45 degree angle , 0.018 depth , base height 0 , and it displays properly as a curved shape subtracted from the plane. I then run a V-Carve toolpath and run a depth of 0.018, with a flat depth of 0.018 (because if I don't, it seems to want to cut through the material) with my own custom tool set, and it creates a proper toolpath in about 15 seconds, projecting onto the model.

I then send the job to my Vision series 3, and it only cuts the first layer, at 0.002 (as per my depth per pass on my tool). Then it stops. It does not continue.

It cuts in the right spot, accepts the artwork, but doesn't do more than 1 pass.

Any suggestions?

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: only cutting single pass on toolpath

Post by martin54 »

Not quite sure I am following you here, if you have created a 3D model or a 3D model in a dish then you need to run a 3D toolpath not a vcarve toolpath, if your trying to use a vcarve toolpath & your machining boundry is a vector then it probably will want to machine right through the material. :lol: :lol:

mbthomsen4444

Post by mbthomsen4444 »

You answered my question so quickly thank you.

I think I chose V-carve because that's what my bits are, after some playing around and testing I think I have the artwork working under the 3d tool path, I will try it on the machine tomorrow. Will post back to you if it doesn't work.

ty. :P

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

When you have toolpathed it what does the the toolpath preview look like, you can use a V bit or engraving bit to machine 3D models but it can be quite a bit of mucking about & setting up to do a good job with them. Generally for 3D work most people would use a ball nose bit. :lol: :lol:

You shouldn't need to actually cut it, the toolpath preview is very accurate so if it doesn't look right in that then it won't machine right :lol: :lol:

mbthomsen4444

Post by mbthomsen4444 »

The toolpath look exactly the same under 3D as v-carve, but I wont know till I run it. Waiting for the machine to be free.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

You will not get multiple passes with a 3d toolpath. It is designed to cut the final pass only at the full depth...so you will only see 1 pass. It pays no attention to the depth of cut setting for the tool.

If you need to clear away material before running the 3d toolpath, then that's what the roughing toolpath is for. It will clear the material away in multiple passes based on the pass depth for the roughing tool.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

mbthomsen4444

Post by mbthomsen4444 »

oh thats not good, I need to have it gradually cut down so it won't snap the bit, I engrave brass. It cant do the full depth immediately.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

If you need to do multiple cuts then use the 3D roughing toolpath as Steve has said first, once that has run & removed the bulk of the material then the finishing toolpath runs one pass at full depth :lol: :lol:

If you are new to the program then you really should spend some time learning how to use the software with the help of the provided tutorials, download the tutorial files & then you can follow along with the video :lol: :lol:

http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V9 ... =1&order=1

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

The name of the product may be confusing. It's called Vcarve but does a lot of other thing than v-carving -which is a particular technique, see the manual or the video tutorials- and can handle a lot of different tools and not only v-carve bits.

As Steve wrote, the general 3D machining principle is:
-get rid of most of the raw material with a roughing toolpath, which handle multiple passes, with a "big" tool, leaving an anion skin
-remove this onion skin with a finishing toolpath and a "small" tool giving the required detail level, in a single pass

This is oversimplified, but that's the spirit. You may require several finishing tools or be able to avoid roughing with low depth reliefs in soft materials, but until you master your tools (soft and hardware), just follow these 2 steps until you perfectly understand all the issues.

HTH
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

mbthomsen4444

Post by mbthomsen4444 »

OK i tried out the suggestion by
by martin54 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:52 pm
by switching to the 3D Finishing toolpath. I can run successive cuts down to the right depth, that is not a problem.

I find it still does the same result though, it runs a dish cut at surface z=0.00, but never lower. Whether my dish shape is Scale to exact Height = 0.003 or 0.01 it cuts at all the same depth never deeper. Always at 0.000

This program does get this fine right? my measurements are not too fine?

My 3d toolpath looks awesome, it just runs the tool at 0.00 over and over and over no matter what scale to exact height I set.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

1. Not sure I'm understanding what you're saying. You start by saying that you can run successive cuts down to the right depth, but then say it's running at z0. Are you saying that the preview looks ok but the machine is not cutting what is shown in the preview?

2. The software has the ability to output code at fine increments. You can look at the g-code to confirm whether or not it's producing code at the appropriate depths. Whether your machine has the ability to cut at those resolutions is another question. Many CNC routers have accuracy of of 2-3 thousandths, so it's possible you're operating within the "slop" of your machine.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

mbthomsen4444

Post by mbthomsen4444 »

ok, to clarify, I stated I was ok using the suggested the procedure, of successive cuts to achieve my goal. But then went on to say that procedure didnt work. It cuts at Z0

I engrave finer than these increments with my Vision software, so my machine is more than capable. Where would I find the g-code?

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

gcode is the toolpath that you save from the vectric software to load into your control computer or directly to your Engraving machine, sorry don't know how the Vision machines operate. You should be able to view it with notepad or something similar from what I can see it will save as a .plt file.
Are you using the right post processor for your machine ? I see there are 2 listed for the vision series 3 both imperial units.

Hard to know why you are having problems, when running the 3D roughing & finishing toolpaths what machining limit boundary are you using? Once you have created your toolpaths & run the toolpath preview is that showing correctly? If it is then there shouldn't be any problem cutting the file unless the problem lies with your machine or your control software :lol:

Have you worked your way through any of the tutorials ? Really best to start at the beginning & work through but there are a number that cover 3D toolpathing

http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V9 ... =8&order=1

mbthomsen4444

Post by mbthomsen4444 »

yes I am using the correct post processor Vision 3
I am using the vector boundary as the machining limit
the toolpath is showing correctly, rounded and visually accurate.

Yes I went through the tutorials, and I engrave on these machines 20x daily with other software at a rather highly detailed level.

There seems to be a behaviour of this software that is not obvious, or in the tutorials.

Is this the only method of support for this product? I still need assistance with the settings.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If you want direct support with a problem you need to contact Vectric (support@vectric.com). This is primarily a user to user support forum.