Aspire vs. artcam

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
aroff
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: shark hd

Aspire vs. artcam

Post by aroff »

Have aspire since version 4 but really didn't get more serious till the past year
trying to convert a bmp, jpg to stl. Someone sends me a photo, image to replicate as an engraved image
not sure if stl is the way to go but having trouble with the final image
aspire renders the image with the light and dark reversed, at least to me
example is making a gray scale image. aspire or me has a problem placing light and dark portions in the proper place
ex. light in front and dark in back
is aspire limited to some things
thinking about incorporating Artcam in my designs

thank you so much

andy

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Aspire vs. other software

Post by FixitMike »

You can reverse and otherwise modify the image with a number of programs. I like Paint.net. It is free, it has a lot of capabilities, and there are tutorials on YouTube. Search for "Download paint.net" because the web page Paint.net is owned by a paint shop.

Random thought: What happens if you designate the file to subtract on the modeling tree?
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

It isn't that Aspire has a problem sorting out the light and dark areas. The problem is photos themselves. Shadows are typically cast along the edges of raised areas, so they are dark. A good example is a simple vertical cylinder. Think of it being lit from above and left. A shadow is cast on the right side of the cylinder so that area gets recessed when in fact it should be rounded just like the well lit portion.

It might be best when using a photo to understand that you are creating a model of the photo, not a model of what is shown in the photo.

Hope that all made sense, lot of verbage for a simple concept.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

There is no magic way to get an accurate 3D model from a photo. Time, skill, and artistic talents are all prerequisites.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

seanm
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: 6040 Desktop CNC

Post by seanm »

if you are looking at carving out an image with light areas in the front and dark areas in the back, this is the default behavior of the software, you can increase and decrease the depths of the light and dark areas by modifying the Z depth of the component in the component tree. The more height you add to the component the bigger the difference. Another interesting thing you can do with images when engraving them is to create lithophanes, a tutorial to which you can find here

http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V9 ... ithophanes

I hope this helps.

Sean