Aspire and machining metal ?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Aspire and machining metal ?

Post by Adrian »

Only thing wrong with Windows 10 is the Edge browser. Install Chrome, Firefox etc and you won't have any issues as long as the PC has a decent amount of memory. I even have my control PC running Windows 10 these days with no issues.

The exe extension stands for executable or basically a program. Every program that you run in Windows is an exe file. I don't know what you mean by "running under Aspire".

You will have to download the tutorial files to be able to watch/use them as I'm 99% certain that no browser that will work in XP will play them online. You won't have the same issue with Windows 10.

Once you've downloaded the tutorial files (which are exe's as you've found) you need to run them as you would any other Windows program by double clicking on them. This will then install the CRV/CRV3D files for the tutorial and the video (mp4) itself. You do not load anything into Aspire other than the CRV/CRV3D files. The video files should run by double clicking on them in Windows.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

But what not only galls me, but is so frustrating is, if I have another program with an .exe extension that is not running under Aspire, XP will open them up just fine. Put that same program in Aspire and try to open it, and Aspire won't touch it. Why does this only happen under Aspires influence, if I have something not set right in XP ??
This is your problem. You are trying to open the .exe file in Aspire, when all you should be doing is double clicking on it in File Explorer. It's a self extracting .exe file.

Fwiw, you don't try to open .exe files in ANY program.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

What you need to understand is the difference between the operating system, in your case XP but it could be windows 7 or 10 & a program like Aspire or Word (which is a Microsoft program) people use to write letters etc.

The operating system controls the computer itself, it allows all the computer hardware to speak to each other & provides the interface for you to control what you do on the computer. When you open a program such as Aspire it doesn't take over the computer, the operating system is still controlling the computer the program is running within the operating system & allowing you to do other things :lol: :lol:

A .exe file is designed to be opened only by the operating system (XP in your case) they are not like other types of file you may have seen such as .EPS, .STL (there are a lot of them). So as ger21 says no program will open them, it has absolutely nothing to do with Aspire or any other program you may have installed (remember XP is not really a program :lol: )

I don't know what is available where you are but in the UK the Government were running courses to introduce people to computers for free through Colleges at one time, my parents were both in their eighties a few years ago when they did one. They learnt enough to have a basic understanding of how things worked. Might be worth looking to see if anything is available where you live :lol: :lol:

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Although I do have a floppy drive you can borrow if you find someone who does nave it :lol: :lol:
My first computer, back in the '80's, was the size of a refrigerator, had a fixed 5mb hard drive, and two removable 5mb discs that was 18" in diameter and 3" thick. Microsoft wasn't invented yet. It run on Lenux operating system and who I had employed to run it was a former flower-child hippy from Haight-Ashbury.

But believe it or not, I found an old desktop that run Windows 98 and some other old computer stuffed away in storage that looks like it took floppy discs. But Martin, you can keep your floppy's. If I plugged them in, they would probably burn my building down. :lol: :lol: :lol: I guess it's time to do some spring cleaning and thank Bill Gates there's Windows 7 and 10 that I can run Aspire on!

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DWC2440,TaigCNCMill,Dellta3003d, Epilog

Post by TSM2018 »

I have an old, but new to me Taig CNC mill... OMG, I want to machine some knurls as seen in my Yahoo Taig Forum, so I will be watching all threads on machining metal.

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman

Post by TSM2018 »

Checking back into the forum, did Cliff20 make the purchase for the Tormach mill? I'm not an inch closer to my 4th axis knurls...

Dclifton2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: home built shopbot clone. CNC lathe

Post by Dclifton2 »

I use Aspire on both my router and a Knee Mill. I cut wood and plastics and some times aluminum on the router and aluminum, steel, brass and composite on the knee mill. I design a lot in aspire for my CNC lathe but have to generate gcode in another program.
Don

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman

Post by TSM2018 »

Don, What happens that you need to generate GCode in software other than Aspire. I own Bob Cad, but BC and I are not talking to each other.

Dclifton2
Vectric Wizard

Post by Dclifton2 »

Aspire does not generate Gcode for a lathe. Lathes need different profiles for different bits with different angles. Sorry to hear about you using Bob Cam, Aspire is so much better. I try to do everything in Aspire that I can but it's like having just one plane or hammer, no one program can do everything but Aspire comes close.
Don

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman

Post by TSM2018 »

Don, I purchased Aspire December 2017... it is much better - but I want a 4th axis... so was curious about G Code generation in Aspire for 4th axis.

Dclifton2
Vectric Wizard

Post by Dclifton2 »

4th Axis is not a lathe. I use aspire on my 4th axis all the time. My son does Lip's on the 4th Axis on PVC pipe.
Don
Attachments
2018-05-09 15.20.14.jpg

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Dclifton2 wrote:4th Axis is not a lathe. I use aspire on my 4th axis all the time. My son does Lip's on the 4th Axis on PVC pipe.
Don
That is pretty trick right there. Thanks for sharing that. :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

Dclifton2
Vectric Wizard

Post by Dclifton2 »

I use Aspire to create a flat lip's then change all my Y's to A's in my gcode. I set my indexer up by knowing my step's per revolution / inches around my piece of PVC pipe. Only problem is PVC pipe is not perfectly round so you have to pick a good spot on the pipe.
Thanks
Don

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

dwilli9013 wrote:That is pretty trick right there. Thanks for sharing that. :lol: :lol:
Rotary Lithos can be done on the CarveWright Rotary Jig, too. Lots of fun and very popular! Here's a Mona Lisa I did on my CarveWright for a CNC presentation a few years ago...
Attachments
Unlit_Mona_Litho.png
Rotary_Litho_Mona-Lisa546x737.png
rotary_litho_parts.png
CW_Mona-Lisa_Rotary_1_output.png
CW_Mona-Lisa_Rotary_output.png
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Dclifton2
Vectric Wizard