choosing top center for xyz or left corner(difference)

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
aroff
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: shark hd

choosing top center for xyz or left corner(difference)

Post by aroff »

I have an inlay project

difference between top center or left botton corner as far as centering the project

20 wide x 2 tall

i want the engraving to be centered on the material

does it matter whether setup is bottom left corner or top center

top bottom left corner is easier

ty

andy

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: choosing top center for xyz or left corner(difference)

Post by Rcnewcomb »

does it matter whether setup is ...
Mostly it is what works for your way of thinking. That is why there are multiple choices.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As Randall says it is mostly personal choice so if you find bottom left easier for yourself then use that, long as you measure your material block accurately & centre your design with the material block in the software then all will be good. Using the material centre could work out better if you haven't measured your material accurately :lol: :lol:
I generally use the bottom left corner because I find it easy to set up work co ordinates working that way, no matter what size your material is the bottom left corner is always in the same place :lol: :lol:

lfinsr57
Model of CNC Machine: Home built

Post by lfinsr57 »

I'm in the middle. I used the center while I'm drawing. Much easier to center objects using 0,0. Then I change to lower left before generating toolpaths. As said, whatever works for you and the way your brain works.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

lfinsr57 wrote:I'm in the middle. I used the center while I'm drawing. Much easier to center objects using 0,0. Then I change to lower left before generating toolpaths. As said, whatever works for you and the way your brain works.
Haha, I read the question to mean when actually machining rather than when designing which is pretty obvious if you read my reply. Reading the question again I have probably got it wrong :oops: :oops:

I have read a few posts where people design using the centre & then change to bottom left once the design is complete, Doesn't change my answer as far as my personal preference goes though, I normally set the job up from the start using the bottom left corner :lol: :lol: