New Tool Setup

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
dciliberti
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha FX

New Tool Setup

Post by dciliberti »

I have searched the forum but unable to get a definitive answer. How do I find all of the parameters )(pass depth, stepover, RPM, feed rate and plunge rate) Currently I copy a similar tool and keep the same parameters. I don't think that is the correct way. Please help

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: New Tool Setup

Post by Adrian »

Surprised you couldn't find anything as this question comes up a few times every month.

There are many different parameters affecting those settings such as the type of machine, material, age of cutter etc.

A reasonable starting point is to set the pass depth to half the diameter of the tool. Stepover depends on what you're doing, most of the time 40% is a good value but if you're doing something like 3D finishing then you would set it to 8 to 10%.

RPM, feed rate, plunge rate are totally dependant on the material etc. To get a start point you can use what are called chipload tables. That will give you starting values but you will always need to tune from there based on what your machine can do, material etc. It's part of the learning curve of CNC to learn what your machine needs.