Modeling Resolution and Toolpaths

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
AZRoger
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD Version 2.0

Modeling Resolution and Toolpaths

Post by AZRoger »

I'm modeling a rope motif to go around drawer fronts. The attached files show the center (zoomed in for a better view) the entire trim piece and a view that illustrates the curve of each "coil". The entire model is built using one rail sweep with a total of 6 profiles for the whole job. (The middles of each "coil" are shorter than the ends to account for the Z-axis angle differences.)
I used the maximum resolution (4 million pixels) and made the material size match the model exactly. The model looks pretty clean.
When I change the material size to allow several of these to machined on one piece of lumber, the model starts looking very pixelated.
The question:
When tool paths are constructed, does the tool path compiler use the same rails and profiles used to build the original model?
Will the CNC produce the smooth paths defined by the geometry?
Or is it "what you see is what you get"; if the model looks ragged, the part will too?
Thanks for your help.
Roger
Running Aspire 9.010 64-bit
Attachments
Center Section
Center Section
Rope Complete<br />Rope Complete
Rope Complete
Rope Complete
Rope Curvature
Rope Curvature

Pete Cyr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II

Re: Modeling Resolution and Toolpaths

Post by Pete Cyr »

WYSIWYG - -The tool path preview simulation is very accurate - if it looks bad on the screen it will look the same when you cut.
Be sure to use "Preview Simulation Quality" at maximum to get the best appearance when running the simulated cut

AZRoger
Vectric Apprentice

Post by AZRoger »

Thanks.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

When tool paths are constructed, does the tool path compiler use the same rails and profiles used to build the original model?
No, the toolpaths are created from the model, not the vectors used to create the model.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

AZRoger
Vectric Apprentice

Post by AZRoger »

OK. I have been poking on this problem a bit more.
It looks like I may be able to use "Array Copy Toolpath" to get multiple copies of a part on a larger work piece and retain the fine resolution.
The visible toolpaths (blue lines) go outside the material. Preview only shows the parts of the tool path that are on the original material.
I'll have to study the generated Z-code to see if the tool paths do go everywhere the blue lines say they go. If so, the problem is solved.

AZRoger
Vectric Apprentice

Post by AZRoger »

AZRoger wrote:OK. I have been poking on this problem a bit more.
It looks like I may be able to use "Array Copy Toolpath" to get multiple copies of a part on a larger work piece and retain the fine resolution.
The visible toolpaths (blue lines) go outside the material. Preview only shows the parts of the tool path that are on the original material.
I'll have to study the generated G-code to see if the tool paths do go everywhere the blue lines say they go. If so, the problem is solved.
The results are in. The G-code does go to the offsets specified, even when they go outside the bounds of the material.
One thing to watch for is that the X0, Y0 and Z0 all reference the original part that is on the material you specified to Aspire.
If you somehow lose the zeros on your CNC you'll need to re-establish them where that first part is/was... Plan ahead.