trouble with Vector Selector

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
argreen

trouble with Vector Selector

Post by argreen »

I am trying to make a cutting file with single line letters (open vectors). I set up the Vector Selector for the open vectors,
check all the proper boxes, close the window. The selection now shows automatic. When I try to generate the cutting
file I get a warning that I have open vectors which will be ignored. I tried changing the Vector Selection from th main
menu with the same results. I think I followed all the instructions-any help would be appreciated

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: trouble with Vector Selector

Post by mtylerfl »

May we see your file, please?
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The only way I've seen that happen is to have the open and closed vector boxes checked, have open and closed vectors on the same layer and be using an inside or outside profile toolpath. You can't mix open and closed vectors in the same toolpath with either of those strategies. You either have to set the profile strategy to be On the vector or create two toolpaths. One for closed and one for open.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Single line text is not all open vectors. Letters like A and R and O usually have closed vectors. And the outline is often a closed vector. Also, what toolpath are you using to cut the letters?
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Seeing your file will minimize (or eliminate) the guessing and questions we have. Are you able to upload your file?
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

argreen

Post by argreen »

Thks for all the replies. I am using V carve toolpath. I ran a test with just the word TEST which is all open . Same result Since no
else has this problem I must be doing something wrong but I can't figure it out

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

argreen wrote:Thks for all the replies. I am using V carve toolpath. I ran a test with just the word TEST which is all open . Same result Since no
else has this problem I must be doing something wrong but I can't figure it out
You may never figure it out unless we can see your file. How 'bout uploading your file here?

Are you setting up your toolpath to be "Profile ON" as Adrian already mentioned? (NOT a VCarve toolpath!!)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

argreen

Post by argreen »

Thx for all the responses. Using Profile routes a multi path v groove-pretty ugly. What would help me is if you would go thru the following test included and show me where I am going wrong.
Opened Text-choose Single Line and choose Helvetica 1L and type TEXT and apply. Go to Toolpath and choose V-Carve/Engraving Tool (note that the engraving tool is meant to work with open vectors). Pick a V bit then at the bottom at Vector Selection: note it’s in Manual mode- pick Selector. Pick All visible layers and Open Vectors. There should 8 Open Vector on the top. Check box w/ Associate with Toolpath and close. Should see Automatic which means the program will recognize open vectors. Click Calculate- Note the error box “Ignoring Grouped Open Vectors” WHY?? I did go and “Convert to Curves” and then I got an error message just rejecting the Open Vectors. This is a Catch 22 if ever there was one. HELP!!!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The VCarve/Engraving toolpath has never worked with open vectors to the best of my knowledge.

The message you're seeing is nothing to do with the vector selector it's the toolpath itself. If you manually select the vectors you will get the same message.

To machine the single line fonts that come with the program you need to use the profile toolpath or the quick engrave toolpath not the VCarve/Engraving toolpath.