2018 US User Group Meeting - Have your say

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: 2018 US User Group Meeting - Have your say

Post by IslaWW »

OK...
If you put all these great suggestions into a jar and shake them up, combine them and pull out the best of the best (according to me) here is what you get:

Instead of the "conference" mentality, think "trade show". Like the IWF, except the booths are populated with Vectric resellers and OEM's that displayed their products? The worlds largest gathering of sub $50K CNC routers, lasers, plasma machines, 3D printers and the providers of ancillary products such as bits, control software, accessories.... and the list goes on. All from or related to the "Vectric friendly family of companies".

Along with a booth to show their wares, these resellers could also have time to provide their instructors and/or accomplished users providing design and machine instruction along with "how to" instruction covering a good number of the "whiz bang" projects that have been featured over the years in small side rooms on a repetitive, revolving basis. Throw in a few Todd Baileys, Michael Tyler and the Vectric staff in the "big room" a couple times a day for looks at the past, present and future of CNC and design. Like at a trade show, these small and large presentations, lasting half to an hour or two, are scheduled in advance to enable attendees to pick and choose items of most interest, from the 3 or 4 concurrently presented.

EVERYONE want to look at machines. EVERYONE want to learn, both the basics and some advanced methodology, EVERYONE want to meet and greet the Vectric staff and the folks they only know as a "handle" on a forum. From mini maker type machines to production sheet cutters there is interest here for anyone that even thought of CNC. IMHO there is no way to place more people that have in interest in CNC in general and Vectric design in particular into one place at one time. Wannabe to 15 year veteran, there would be more than enough material for all to consume over a few days.

Speaking of place, if you draw a line between all the proposed locations, all those lines intersect in the triangle formed by Indianapolis, Kansas City and St. Louis. A location in that area would balance travel costs for all, and usually provide lower lodging costs than most of the touristy meccas in metro areas. Besides, the Midwest takes care of folks a little friendlier than many of the cities do.

One caveat...I would like 3 to 5% of the gate, there will be thousands!!!!
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I don't know how many others are in the same boat as me, but I cannot afford to "go" anywhere. That was one of my reasons for a local "meet & greet" in my back yard. Heck, I could not even supply food for that without help. Even so, we had an awesome time.

My primary suggestion for Boston is a selfish one. Boston is a commutable distance for me and I would be able to attend. Traveling anywhere for me is out of the question - financially not possible. I would love to be able to attend at least one of these events in my lifetime.

On another note - in reality - Boston IS an awesome location.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

One reason that I have been suggesting Boston or somewhere in the Northeast is because there have been no Vectric conferences in the Northeast. Unless I'm forgetting a location they have all been either in Florida or Vegas. The Northeast is very accessible for a significant number of people in the US. I would guess that many interested people from the Northeast have not attended meetings in Florida or Vegas due to the inconvenience of travel and everything associated with a long distance trip for a short stay.

MHO,

Phil

PS I think Leo was posting while I was typing, we have similar thoughts

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Here is where the users are in the US:
VectricUsers.PNG
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Rcnewcomb wrote:Here is where the users are in the US:
Well the last meeting was located near the fewest users, lol.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

VectricUsers.PNG
Looks like there are quite a few in the Northeast. :)

Phil

ElevationCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO-Acorn , Shapeoko SO3 XXL & SO3s

Post by ElevationCreations »

I think the user map is subjective listing only those users who wish to post their location.

As far as content, would it be possible to have two sessions? Beginners and advanced? Or like trade shows have multiple training sessions and allow the attendees to select which content they attend?

I’ll be selfish too, Colorado or within 8 hour drive. I haven’t been able to attend the sessions on either coast and would prefer something closer.

Oldmanofgf
Model of CNC Machine: Probiotix meteor 26x50

Post by Oldmanofgf »

I will be selfish too because of health problem I can only travel only a short distance. So for me I would Ike to see more training video that I could watch at home. But where ever Vectric has it I hope everyone that get to go has great time and learns a lot so that they can help those of us that cannot go for what ever reason with this forum
Happy CNCing
Glenn

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

ElevationCreations wrote:I think the user map is subjective listing only those users who wish to post their location.
This is likely to be true. I'm sure, if this were a serious consideration for location of the event, that Vectric could easily compile a more complete list of Vectric product owners from there database.

Phil

flatheadyoungin
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: DIY Joe's Evo. 4x8 and Laguna Swift 4x8

Post by flatheadyoungin »

Central, Columbus, Ohio area. Central to the entire east coast and Canada....plenty of accommodations....

flatheadyoungin
Vectric Apprentice

VectricUsers.PNG

See it, Ohio, case closed..... :)

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Yeah, but it's Ohio. :lol:
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

flatheadyoungin
Vectric Apprentice

I agree! hahaha
ger21 wrote:Yeah, but it's Ohio. :lol:

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I thought it was oh-hi-ya :D
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Creation in Wood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick ATC 4x8 CNC

Post by Creation in Wood »

I do not vote for Orlando, FL. I was booked on the 2016 Orlando UGM and the airline canceled the flight one hour before I was to leave. Was not able to attend because of the hurricane. October is hurricane season. Anywhere in the West.
Thank You
Doug