Ignore Low Z Limit for One Toolpath

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
davemartin88
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMMaster Stinger II

Ignore Low Z Limit for One Toolpath

Post by davemartin88 »

I want to drill a hole in my spoilboard using a pocket toolpath as part of the alignment for a two sided project. Is there a way in Aspire to ignore the CNC low Z limit on one tool path so I can drill a hole 1/4" deep but have the limit in force for other tool paths? I'm thinking it has to be done at the CNC? (CamMaster CNC w/ WinCnC). Maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: Ignore Low Z Limit for One Toolpath

Post by 4DThinker »

If the low limit is a hardware limit then I doubt you can override it. Some controllers put a software limit in place to prevent cuts from digging into their beds. Usually you can override that in settings. If it is just the warning in Aspire that you'll be cutting through your material then you can ignore that.

4D

davemartin88
Vectric Craftsman

Post by davemartin88 »

4DThinker wrote:If the low limit is a hardware limit then I doubt you can override it. Some controllers put a software limit in place to prevent cuts from digging into their beds. Usually you can override that in settings. If it is just the warning in Aspire that you'll be cutting through your material then you can ignore that.

4D
No, it's not the warning in Aspire, it's during the actual cutting, stops on a soft z low limit. Most likely will have to be done in the controller but guess you never know, thanks.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

If you're running Mach3 turn off Soft Limits drill your hole then turn them back on. But I'd be careful doing that. If you have a small soft limit set and no limit switch on the Z axis you could do damage to your machine (that would be bad).
John
Maker of Chips

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Dave...
In order to cut into the Spoilboard deeper than the loZ boundary setting, you will have to do one of the following:
Use the single tool postP without a tool number (and therefore no measured tool)
Measure a tool lower than the top of the Spoilboard, set G92Z to top
Turn off the soft limits and boundaries (watch for file header turning back on)
Turn off the loZ boundary with a "[" in the ini file
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

davemartin88
Vectric Craftsman

Post by davemartin88 »

Thanks Gary, figured it would have to be done post Aspire but worth asking. I'll look at your suggestions and ask if I have more questions. May be safer for me to just use the file as it is, the path went through the piece enough to mark the spoilboard so I just used an electric drill to finish it off, lol. Thanks again.