merging two 3D cliparts on one project

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Retired 1st Sgt
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

merging two 3D cliparts on one project

Post by Retired 1st Sgt »

I purchased two files from design and make. Both 3d. I want the flag to be in the background with the military emblem standing out front. It was over 24 hour cut time however I had the finish stepover set at 9%. Problem is after the rough cut and the finish cut it still looked like a rough cut. The material was 3/4 inch thick and in some places there was less them 1/16 of material left. I changed bits and tried again but this time it went through the wood. I tried to send a pic however It won't let me. I did include a screen shot of my project though. Thanks for any help.

mike
Attachments
Capture.PNG

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: merging two 3D cliparts on one project

Post by martin54 »

File size & file type are restricted on the forum so you may have to reduce the resolution of you picture to upload it jpegs are acceptable as a file type. As for the actual models it may be the model position in the material or the actual depth of the model that is leaving you so little material at the bottom. BUT if you didn't make any changes between cutting the 2 projects one should not have cut deeper than the other if it did that is most likely a z zero setting error.
You haven't mentioned what bits you were using for rough & finish passes. Grain direction also plays a part so were you cutting with or against the grain & what type of wood were you using :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have a look at the thread named " Tutorials" by stephen50 for info on where to find tutorials on 3D assembly :lol: :lol: :lol:

Retired 1st Sgt
Vectric Apprentice

Martin, thanks for the response. Here is a screen shot of the two bits I used. The wood was red oak and the grain was running longways or along the Y axis. The bit was running along the X axis.
Attachments
finish.PNG
roughing.PNG

Retired 1st Sgt
Vectric Apprentice

heres a picture of the project
Attachments
Picture1.jpg
Picture2.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

That is a tiny bit to use on a project of that size so no wonder it took 24 hours. Finishing stepover is usually 8 to 10% so 9 is fine but I would have expected a 1/8" or even bigger ball nose instead.

How and where did you zero the Z when changing the bits?

Retired 1st Sgt
Vectric Apprentice

Adrian,
i've been on the computer all morning trying to fix this. My first issue was I didn't have the model set to the right height within the thickness of my project. Also I think your on to something about where I set my Z.

I know using a larger diameter bit for finish will shorten my cut time however won't it ruin the detail? Or am I being so detailed with a smaller diameter bit that it is making lines in the finish product??

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

You might look into "Rest Machining" to allow for more detail where needed. This can also cut down over all machining time by using larger bits in areas where fine detail is not required.
John
Maker of Chips

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Most of the Vectric & Design & Make models are made to give the maximum amount of detail when machined with a 1/8" ballnose at their imported size, your project actually looks like you have increased the size of the model so a 1/8" ballnose would be the smallest bit I would try, depending on the increase in size then a larger bit may still give you the maximum amount of detail.
Using a smaller bit won't give you any more detail it will simply increase the machining time :lol: :lol:

That's the really good thing about the toolpath preview, toolpath your job with different sized bits & the largest bit that gives you the detail you require is the one to use for the job :lol: :lol: