Tool Horizontal Number of Passes

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
avman598
Model of CNC Machine: C.R. Onsrud

Tool Horizontal Number of Passes

Post by avman598 »

We are using our CNC to cut out crown molding. We do have a large molding machine but we at times do molding bigger than our molder can handle or can no do. The molding is both straight as well as curved. We glue up a slightly oversized blank. We special ordered ordered our CNC to allow a 13" vertical cutting distance. The first cut I do on the blank is to cut the perimeter. The height of the blank can be 6 inches or greater. There is no standard end mill which will allow this sized cut. We had a custom cutter made which is the cutter head for an 8" jointer allowing us to cut up to 8" tall material. I use this special cutter to cut the perimeter of the molding cutting the full height in multiple parrallel cuts 1/16" offset for each pass. In aspire I see how to perform multiple passes vertically but no method of performing multiple horizontal cuts with each cut offset inward with each pass. Is there a method to easily get these multiple parallel cut performed?

Wayne

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Tool Horizontal Number of Passes

Post by Adrian »

There are a few ways of doing it depending on personal preferences and job layout etc.

The way I would do it is to create multiple toolpaths with the the allowance offset 1/16" incremented on each one and then save the whole set as a toolpath template to be applied to future jobs in one go.

avman598
Model of CNC Machine: C.R. Onsrud

Re: Tool Horizontal Number of Passes

Post by avman598 »

Thanks for the response. You solution is the only way I could think of. I have been using Alphacam and it allow both horizontal and vertical multiply cuts.