File storage problems I need to make a change.

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Gundawg
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre IS 510/Trak Bed Mill/Sharp VMC

File storage problems I need to make a change.

Post by Gundawg »

I have been using Google drive to save my CNC files for about 2-3 years and it has worked great until a couple months ago right after I upgraded to Aspire Version 9 now the timing might be a coincidence. The problem I am having now is it randomly doesn't save after saving the same file several previous times. I get the same error code, error code 1. Vectric says it is not their problem it is a problem with Google drive. I used to transfer the files with a thumb drive but having the cloud storage has been great until recently. I design files on 3 different computers and including the control computer. I am thinking of trying a new cloud type service I had to upgrade from a free service to a 100GB service for a couple bucks a month. I have access to one drive but have not tried that one yet. What do you guys use?

Thanks Mike

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: File storage problems I need to make a change.

Post by highpockets »

I've tried One Drive and would like it to work, but I've had issues accessing files on my CNC computer. After reworking One Drive on my computer I'm excited to get back home from this trip to tried it again. I'm not necessarily in love with One Drive, but with a 1gig of storage, I'm willing to put in a little time trying to make it work.

Right now I use Dropbox and it is flawless!!! Absolutely flawless!!! The only problem is I only have 8gig of storage and I'd have to pay for more storage when I already have 1gig on One Drive for free.... Well it came with Office 365.

If I can't get One Drive to cooperate though I'll bite the bullet and go with Dropbox.

PS: I have a network server, but I like the ability to work while on the road, and I'm on the road a lot.
John
Maker of Chips

Oldmanofgf
Model of CNC Machine: Probiotix meteor 26x50

Post by Oldmanofgf »

I use Onedrive and Dropbox like Dropbox far better I am thinking of quiting. Onedrive as I have used up all my free storage so if I have to pay. I might as well use the one I like the best.
Good luck
Glenn

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

I use OneDrive a lot, but not for CNC work (just never needed it). Sometimes it takes a long time for OneDrive to refresh and resync. I found this little script that shuts down the service, then reboots it, forcing a resync.

I have no idea who wrote it, and I cannot be certain that it won't kill your cat. Save it to SyncOneDrive.bat, double click to run it.

Code: Select all

@echo off
taskkill /f /im onedrive.exe
start %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe /background

Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

Gundawg
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Gundawg »

I put in a support ticket with Google drive and they say they don't support CRV3D type files and that is why I am having problems. I had used up all my free file space and upgraded to the next level which if I remember right was 100GB for $1.99 a month.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I use dropbox for CNC files and OneDrive for everything else. I've had multiple issues with the speed OneDrive moves files around whereas DropBox never seems to fail and knows when to use the LAN. If it wasn't for the fact that I have a free 1tb subscription to OneDrive I would use DropBox for everything.

mohamed
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Craft CNC DS1

Post by mohamed »

Gundawg wrote:I have been using Google drive to save my CNC files for about 2-3 years and it has worked great until a couple months ago right after I upgraded to Aspire Version 9 now the timing might be a coincidence. The problem I am having now is it randomly doesn't save after saving the same file several previous times. I get the same error code, error code 1. Vectric says it is not their problem it is a problem with Google drive. I used to transfer the files with a thumb drive but having the cloud storage has been great until recently. I design files on 3 different computers and including the control computer. I am thinking of trying a new cloud type service I had to upgrade from a free service to a 100GB service for a couple bucks a month. I have access to one drive but have not tried that one yet. What do you guys use?

Thanks Mike
How big are your files?

When we save an existing file, we first write it to a temp area on your machine, and then move it to the desired location. Perhaps if the file is big, Google Drive is performing the sync on the file before it's fully copied? I'm not sure, but I don't think it's something to do with their support for CRV3D or otherwise since they shouldn't have stuff to do with a specific format (other than maybe whether a file is binary or text). Perhaps this is something to mention in the ticket too.

Mohamed
--------------
Mohamed
++++++++

Will Williamson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Thermwood CS-45 5 x 10

Post by Will Williamson »

My Technician built us a large Pc with 3 one tera byte hard drives.
I have 3 computers including my cnc and they all use that computer as a server
All file are saved on the one central storage system.
Two of the hard drives are connected in a RAID so that every time I save something it is saves in two different hard drives
The third hard drive is a removable cassette and we back up to it and remove it to a safe storage off the property
We recently told me he was building us another system with 4 one terabyte hard drives just for storage
after 25 years we have a lot of files and pictures
Will Williamson willmade.com
Williamson Lumber & Millwork Inc.
Capac, Michigan

flatheadyoungin
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: DIY Joe's Evo. 4x8 and Laguna Swift 4x8

Post by flatheadyoungin »

From home, on my laptop, I can open a file and save a file to my Dropbox. At work, on my desktop PC, I can open a file from Dropbox but when I go to save it, it errors. So, I have to save it to the desktop, then drag it over to Dropbox and overwrite the existing file. I keep thinking I'm going to lose something....

ElevationCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO-Acorn , Shapeoko SO3 XXL & SO3s

Post by ElevationCreations »

We use OneDrive, like others have said, speed can be an issue.

For the LAN, we use a USB drive on our router to store and share files, it works great, and you can set up OneDrive to mirror the folders.

Gundawg
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Gundawg »

[/quote]

How big are your files?

When we save an existing file, we first write it to a temp area on your machine, and then move it to the desired location. Perhaps if the file is big, Google Drive is performing the sync on the file before it's fully copied? I'm not sure, but I don't think it's something to do with their support for CRV3D or otherwise since they shouldn't have stuff to do with a specific format (other than maybe whether a file is binary or text). Perhaps this is something to mention in the ticket too.

Mohamed[/quote]

That is a good sugestion I will give that a try the files are not huge but I am saving them fairly often and it could be in the middle of syncing them when I try and save again. It seems to happen after I have saved the file several times in short order. The size of the last file that gave me trouble is only 744KB.

The other thing is I am opening the file straight from Google drive and just saving the work they suggested this.

"Try to follow these steps to upload the files:
Sign in to drive.google.com
Click the NEW button.
Select "file upload" or "folder upload".
Let me know if my suggestion works for you."

Thanks Mike