Panning/scrolling a large drawing while creating vectors

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
fordtman
Model of CNC Machine: AKG6090

Panning/scrolling a large drawing while creating vectors

Post by fordtman »

Can someone tell me how to add vectors to a large drawing that does not fit the monitor viewing area using Aspire. My drawings are fairly complex and when I shrink them so I can see the whole width of the drawing they are too small to get a good reference point to start creating the vector (e.g. rectangle). Smart snapping has a problem with waking up some nodes when to drawing is small (this seems to depend on the mix of elements in the drawing) but works quite well when I expand the drawing. When expanded to the point where smart snapping works the drawing is too large for the monitor so adding a rectangular vector from one side of the drawing to the other involves a scrolling/panning movement at the same time as drawing the rectangular vector. I have not yet figured out how to scroll at the same time as adding, for example, a rectangular vector. I have tried all sorts of key combinations and I am hoping that someone can tell me how to do it. Thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Re: Panning/scrolling a large drawing while creating vectors

Post by dealguy11 »

Select the line tool and click on the first point. Assuming you have mouse with a scroll wheel, click and hold the scroll wheel while dragging the screen in the desired direction. When you get where you're going, left click to end the line. If this doesn't work, you may need to change the function of the scroll wheel in the mouse setup software.

Another way is start the line, then left click on the scroll bars at the bottom and right of the screen to move the screen. It will keep the line active until you left click to end it.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Steve the OP is asking about the rectangle tool, I can't figure out how to scroll the window after selecting the rectangle tool. The only thing I can thing of is to type in a height and width of the rectangle that will be close to the correct size scroll the window and fine tone the rectangle.
Circle is the same way.
John
Maker of Chips

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Nothing to do with scrolling but if you are having a problem with smart snapping when zoomed out have you tried playing with the snapping radius ? Can't remember what the default is but it may help if you increase it. Only problem with doing that is if you have a lot of vectors close together & it is set to a large value it can be difficult to snap to the point you want it to. Every other point you can snap to gets picked up but the one you want :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you are just drawing a rectangle why don't you just enter the size using the keyboard short cuts ? Zoom in close enough to be able to pick up your starting point start dragging the rectangle, enter the size & then hit return :lol: :lol:

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

Oops, missed that it was the rectangle tool. I'm with Martin on this one. I usually enter rectangles by dimension, then drag them to the required snap point if necessary.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

ChiloquinRuss
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 2008 48x96 ShopBot spindle and Aspire

Post by ChiloquinRuss »

One of the Aspire functions that helps me when working with many parts and also being a large final design is part of the alignment function. Not exactly what you asked about but it does assist in lining things up. Select the object to be moved into alignment and then select the object to align the part to. Worth taking a look at maybe. Russ

AKA: The Train Guy!