Profile toolpath on top of 3D model

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
pblackburn
Model of CNC Machine: Mechmate with Mach3

Profile toolpath on top of 3D model

Post by pblackburn »

Need some help. I cannot figure out how to do an outside profile Toolpath of some block text vectors that are on top of a 3D model. If someone knows how to do this, and if you could kindly explain it to me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Profile toolpath on top of 3D model

Post by highpockets »

Model the text and add it to the 3D model.
Image 029.png
John
Maker of Chips

pblackburn

Post by pblackburn »

I have the text model but I would like to profile around the outside of the text vectors and have it follow the 3d model contour underneath. It would leave a smoother finish on the block text versus the raster 3D Finishing Toolpath. Plus I have found with really thin block lettering it if I profile down to almost the surface of a model there is less chance of breaking/chipping off.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Using the dome and text as an example.

Hide the text component.

Do a roughing and finish toolpath on the dome with outline of dome vector and outline of text selected. Use an negative boundary offset of just a little less than half the diameter of the tool that will be used to profile the text in the next step.

Create a profile toolpath of the text, set the Cut Depth to something really shallow .0001 and click Project toolpath onto 3D object.

To have the top of the text follow the dome:

Unhide the text component,

Do a roughing and finish toolpath, use the Selected Vector Machining Boundary with just the text vector selected.

Hope this makes since....
Attachments
Image 030.png
John
Maker of Chips

pblackburn

Post by pblackburn »

Thanks Highpockets,

I found that you have to add an offset allowance of 1/2 the tool diameter if using the 'Project toolpath onto 3D Model' even when the vector selection is set to outside or else it cuts as if 'On' is selected and the cut depth is set to 0.0 or 0.0001. This does not have to be done when 'Project toolpath onto 3D Model' is unchecked but without this a cut depth must be specified and the model will be shaved (we knew that though). That was done with the Text model turned off. I will make a video of that to send to support as I do not believe that is supposed to happen that way. Thanks for your help