3D Models for CNC

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire

3D Models for CNC

Postby CrowsWW » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:36 pm

Does anyone know anything about this Facebook group page they sell 3D models and the prices is very good. I was wondering if they are legit? It seems to good to be true. like the old advice if it seems to good to be true it probably is
Troy Crow
Crow's Woodwork's
http://www.crowswoodworks.com
I have a day job to support my wood habit!
CrowsWW
Vectric Apprentice

Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre 4896

Re: 3D Models for CNC

Postby redwood » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:31 pm

If this is the guy that sells on Ebay, I've purchased a few models from him and they were emailed the same day. Before I bought anything, I searched this forum and I found a topic that seemed to fit and the consensus was that they were OK. Here is one of their models that I just cut.

grape dish.jpg
redwood
Vectric Craftsman

Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro6

Postby Hermie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:01 am

There's been a post on one of the cnc Facebook groups that Dario has been selling pirated models.
Hermie

Model of CNC Machine: custom

Postby CrowsWW » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:37 pm

Thanks for the comments. I was worried that they might be doing that. I will pass on the purchase of his collection.
Troy Crow
Crow's Woodwork's
CrowsWW
Vectric Apprentice

Postby davemartin88 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:37 pm

I've used the models without a problem.
davemartin88
Vectric Craftsman

Model of CNC Machine: None

Postby Adrian » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:53 pm

davemartin88 wrote:I've used the models without a problem.

It's not so much about using the models rather than what the source of them is.
Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Postby TReischl » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:57 pm

I really do not like this sort of thing.

First, someone allegedly posts on FB that an individual is selling pirated models on some forum or other.

Then, someone repeats what they read from a FB post.

Finally, a person announces that they will not purchase because of it.

Are you kidding me? It is the internet folks! All sorts of people post all kinds of inaccurate information. It never occurs to some people that a competitor or someone who just plain does not like the person posts some trash in the hopes of damaging that individual or the business.

I do not sell models, I have no connection whatsoever to anyone who does. Getting tried and convicted on the internet by a bunch of nameless faceless people is ridiculous.
http://www.tedreischl.com

Low Profile CNC Router Vise
TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: 8020 Build 48X36X8 RP 2010 Screenset

Postby Will Williamson » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:02 pm

Well said my friend.
Will Williamson willcnc.com willmade.com
Williamson Lumber & Millwork Inc.
Capac, Michigan
Will Williamson
Vectric Craftsman

Model of CNC Machine: Thermwood CS-45 5 x 10

Postby Adrian » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:15 pm

Having been a victim of software piracy in the past all I'll say on the subject is that people really don't have a grasp on what a MASSIVE problem IP theft is and the number of people on FB and other sites who think that "sharing" is perfectly ok.

I changed my avatar on this forum because I was being tracked down via my old picture to my personal FB account and then bombarded with messages from people demanding that I help them with their particular issue. 90% of them were using pirated versions of Aspire on fake FB accounts so they knew full well what they were doing. They were rude and abusive once I refused to help.

I have no idea at all if this particular closed FB group is selling legitimate items or not. I was merely pointing out that whether a product works well or not is no indication of the legitimacy of its source.
Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Postby TReischl » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:33 pm

I hear ya Adrian. I was fortunate during my software career, only had two cases of piracy. I agree 100% with you and there seems to be this attitude:

"Only stupid people pay for things, smart people get them for free."

It is also interesting how some folks demonize those who take legal steps to protect their copyrights, Disney and Harley Davidson being the most obvious examples. There was a thread floating around here like that a while ago. Would love to see someone with that attitude develop something really cool and then have it copied and given away for free. How you betting they would quickly start singing a different tune about copying things?

But, as I stated above, hearsay is also a very dangerous thing. "Oh, I heard. . .blah, blah, blah" Uh huh, and I once heard that the Vectric Team was a bunch of evil elves with their headquarters in an old oak tree and that the software would one day blind all their users. Or were they Munchkins? I forget!
http://www.tedreischl.com

Low Profile CNC Router Vise
TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: 8020 Build 48X36X8 RP 2010 Screenset

Postby scottp55 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:39 pm

A few months ago I was assuming I could get a ride to Leo's Meet and Greet, so did an E-Bay search for "Lions".
I didn't go through the guys store, and bought a bunch of other "Lions" at the same time.
Leo asked recently where I got the Lion model, so I backtracked and it was this guy;

On looking at his store, I saw many of the same models I've spent $8-25 on, and he was selling every single one of them for $2, and even less in his $65 "Collection".

I've decided to take a pass on buying from him again....I wish I had scoped out his store more before buying.
Just saying.
scott
scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Desktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP9

Postby Will Williamson » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:51 pm

It appears. that if you don't want your stuff stolen, do not put it on line.
Once in the public domain, you no long have any control, over who copies, your Art Work.
This is the main reason, I never share pictures of my work.
And What few, I have shared, if you are talented enough, to reproduce that from a picture, have at it,
You are obviously a master craftsman. And if that is the case, you don't need to steal my Art.
And just like everyone else, I admire a lot of other people's Artwork, But I don't copy it.
I appreciate folks sharing, the concept thou.
Will Williamson willcnc.com willmade.com
Williamson Lumber & Millwork Inc.
Capac, Michigan
Will Williamson
Vectric Craftsman

Model of CNC Machine: Thermwood CS-45 5 x 10

Postby davemartin88 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:09 pm

And I merely answered the question from the original poster that the models have worked for me. I have no idea how to go about checking the source of every model I buy? Adrian, you do amazing things and your support here is wonderful but think you are off base calling out my post especially when you say you have no experience with the source that was being asked about. I'll stop now and won't post here, thanks.
davemartin88
Vectric Craftsman

Model of CNC Machine: None

Postby CrowsWW » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:48 pm

WOW I am sorry that I stirred the pot!
Troy Crow
Crow's Woodwork's
CrowsWW
Vectric Apprentice

Postby redwood » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:10 am

Don't be sorry Crows. I also don't know the legitimacy of these models, one way or another. Nor do I know how to research whether they are or not legitimate. I would love to know other known sources besides Design and Make that have anywhere near the number of models as these guys have. I've actually bought more D&M models then from any other source, but often, they don't have what I'm looking for.
redwood
Vectric Craftsman

Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro6

Next

Return to Aspire - General