Need help - 3D material frame depth

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
ctbjdm
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: TBD

Need help - 3D material frame depth

Post by ctbjdm »

Hi all,

I'm making a simple plaque for a friend. It is intended to be 19mm thick, VCarved text with a 3D border cut out.

The border was made with a 2 rail sweep which I've done before; the border will be raised with the surface of the plaque flat / lowered.

The problem I'm encountering is the projected depth of cut. The 3D border is showing up as a max cut depth of 10.16mm for the roughing pass, and 18.522mm depth for the finish pass. I can't figure out why this is projected to cut so deep; the 2 rail sweep vector is only 2.138 mm tall. My goal is to have the border 2-4 mm taller than the flat surface that I will VCarve - so the plaque is roughly 15-16mm thick when done.

I've played with the component base heights and shape heights; pulling my hair out and I'm sure I'm doing something stupid, just can't figure it out. Can someone help?

I've linked the file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjrcvuz1c9877 ... crv3d?dl=0 (hopefully that works).

Thanks in advance!

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Re: Need help - 3D material frame depth

Post by dealguy11 »

In the Material Setup panel, your model position in the material is set up at the bottom of the material. Set it to the top and you should get the results you want.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

ctbjdm
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ctbjdm »

Followup - no idea what went wrong, but I created a new file, copied in the drive rail vector, re-created the 2 rectangles and it worked exactly as expected (the max cut depth is 2-3mm, leaving the material the thickness I expected).

Would be curious if someone is interested/able to look at my file to see what I was doing wrong!

ctbjdm
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ctbjdm »

Son of a....thanks dealguy!