octagonal plate 2

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

octagonal plate 2

Post by martin54 »

Plate 2 didn't go quite as planned, one thing I am always saying to people is learn to trust the toolpath preview but I have realised that although I always have a general look to check everything is OK I could in fact be making more use of it. Plate 2 is a good example, I originally selected the Celtic Cross from the standard clipart supplied with the software. Sized it & then used the embossing tool exactly the same as I had done with the first plate.
Roughing cut went fine but when the finish cut started on the cross it was clear that there wasn't really any surface height to the model or none that could be seen by eye. The finish cut was going to take hours & I felt that it was really a waste of time carrying on as it was. If I had moused over the toolpath preview rather than just having a quick look I would have realised this earlier :oops:
Good thing about this sort of project is that it is easy enough to correct, quick pocket to remove the base of the cross & then add a vcarve instead of a 3d model :lol:
I may still use the celtic cross model but instead of cutting it all as a 3d model I will make it a combination of 3D model & Vcarving, just need to find time to sit down & draw some suitable vectors to use :lol: :lol:

Still need to know more about finishing though, when you have 3D models how do you go about sanding them ?
cross1.jpg
cross2.jpg

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: octagonal plate 2

Post by Leo »

Craftsmanship is not necessarily the ability to do it right the first time, but the ability to save, recover and still come out smelling like a rose.

No firewood this time.

Awesome
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Haha, I don't know about me smelling like a rose but there was definitely no fire wood this time :lol: :lol:

I am going to wait until I get a few of these done before I apply the resin, hopefully there won't be much waste doing it that way. Think I remember reading that pot life was about 20 mins so plenty of time to do a few at a time :lol: :lol:

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Great work Martin cant wait to see the final product.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

Mark's Wood Chips
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre 23 with Rotary

Post by Mark's Wood Chips »

Man, that's beautiful work!

Mark

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

So plate 3 has been started, this one has 12 sides & I have increased the depth of the dish to allow a full height model rather than using the embossing tool to reduce the height of the model. Only cut the top so far but it cut so well that I couldn't wait for the back to cut before posting :lol: :lol:
It's cut from a piece of Elm & will actually be plate 3 & 4 because I will get another one along side the one that is cut. Haven't done any cleaning up what so ever, not even brushed it with the toothbrush which is how I normally remove the loose fuzzies. Hoping the other one cuts as well. This plate is a little smaller than the other two, it's only about 8" across & the model in the dish is 4" wide, finishing cut with a 1.5mm tapered ball nose. As with the other plates I will fill in the dish to above the height of the model with Glasscast Resin.
As for posting when finished well this is the easy bit, my finishing skills are seriously lacking :oops: but if they turn out OK once I have finished them then I will post in the Gallery :lol: :lol:
celtic birdA.jpg
celtic bird1.jpg
celtic bird2.jpg

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

REALLY clean cut Martin!
I can see why you're excited:) :D
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Unfortunately Elm seems to be a bit inconsistent when it comes to machining Scott, sometimes it's like this with little or no cleaning up & other times it's littered with fuzzies & stringy bits that make it almost impossible to clean up. I expect there will be a way to tell before you try machining it but I haven't found it yet :lol: :lol:

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

I have some woods that behave that way. That's when those little 3m sanding discs Michael has in his projects come in handy. Your plates look great.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Martin,
Looks like you lucked into a piece of either quartersawn, or MORE likely a piece of flatsawn lumber from close to the center of tree. You probably already know that if the growth rings when looking at the end of the stock are vertical(or close)... the results are usually cleaner, and less likely to twist/warp.
Clear Vertical Grain used to be a Grade in some woods here, but now you have to pay for quartersawn, or search the piles for center of the tree flatsawn....good to know when scavenging a stores shorts, or searching for slabs for your stash:)
When I do those little Sugar Maple kid's blocks for things like the little Owls, I always use the end grain face for that reason.
I also look for tight/uniform growth ring patterns.

Can't Quite tell...did you use Raster against the grain, or offset for you're finishing toolpath?

Think you better make a very small one for testing the resin/finish combo:)
Be a shame to ruin one of these!
NICE work!!
scott
Attachments
wood shrinkage.jpg
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Nicely done Martin!

I have been busy with all sorts of remodeling projects and have not been in my shop for quite some time. You are making me all itchy to get back in there! Anything has to be better than replacing flooring, anything..... even fuzzies!
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Got some fuzzies on the one I have just cut Ted, going to take me weeks of sanding to get rid of them all :lol: :lol:

Scott, no it's raster along the grain although the grain is not particularly straight :lol:

Cut the top of the 4th plate & then flipped the board over to machine the 2 backs, cut them out on the bandsaw rather than running a profile cut. Have increased the depth of the dish on the 4th one as I said I might so plate 4 is almost a soup bowl :lol: :lol:
Both have had a quick sand just to get the finishing process started, more sanding to do & then they will be sealed & the models in the dishes covered with Resin.
I might actually use water clear polyester resin for these as it's a lot cheaper than the Glasscast which I know works well from the other plate I used it on. Water clear polyester should give me just as good an idea how these will look & although it isn't as hard as the Glasscast that won't matter for this experiment.
stag2.jpg
stag1.jpg
stag3.jpg
stag4.jpg
stag6.jpg

phill05
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Hybrid re-build

Post by phill05 »

Martin,
You might want to have a look at these:
Abrasive brush.PNG
I use them in a dremel they do a good job clearing the fuzzies saves a lot of hand work used lightly they don't damage your work.

Phill
A person who works with his hands, his brain and his heart is an artist"
—Louis Nizer

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Nice Martin. I am anxious to see how the Poly works for you. Are you giving these away as gifts or selling them?
Very Nice work either way. Thanks for sharing with us. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

phill05 wrote:Martin,
You might want to have a look at these:
Abrasive brush.PNG
I use them in a dremel they do a good job clearing the fuzzies saves a lot of hand work used lightly they don't damage your work.

Phill
Thanks Phill, I do actually use those along with a whole range of other dremel & hand help tools but I am always on the lookout for ways to make sanding a bit easier. My first line of attack is normally a toothbrush for small models & a stiff bristled shoe brush for larger models, they seem to get rid of most of the very loose fuzzies :lol: :lol:
dwilli9013 wrote:Nice Martin. I am anxious to see how the Poly works for you. Are you giving these away as gifts or selling them?
Very Nice work either way. Thanks for sharing with us. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Have a look at my facebook page Dwayne, polly didn't work out well at all, no plans for these just now, did them as an experiment but they will probably end up being used as a present for something :lol: :lol: :lol: