Ball carving help needed

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
fordtman
Model of CNC Machine: AKG6090

Ball carving help needed

Post by fordtman »

I am rotary machining a table leg that has a ball near the top with oval carvings on the ball (see attachment). There are 4 oval carvings on the ball which I have not been able to carve. I have successfully carved the leg but cannot get the oval carving to be reproduced on the ball. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to do it. I am using Aspire 9.0 and have a 4 axis CNC machine (X, Y, Z, A). I have designed the leg as a wrapped job, the X-axis is wrapped around the Y-axis. I have managed to get a raised bulge on the ball but cannot get is embedded into the ball with a smooth convex shape in the centre as in the image.

I would greatly appreciate some help.

Jim
Attachments
leg ball.PNG
leg.PNG

bravesoul
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT ALPHA 48"x96"

Re: Ball carving help needed

Post by bravesoul »

Might be helpful if you post the file so those that have the knowledge can help.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

This should be really easy, but I'm having some unexpected problems making it work in version 9. It works fine in version 8.5.

The basic idea is that you create your 2-rail sweep for the spindle, then create a small oval shape with a thickness of whatever you want. Place the oval on top of the bulge with a combine mode of "subtract". That will give you the indentation.

For some reason this isn't working in version 9. I'm going to recreate the file and try again.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

OK, updated to version 9.10 and it works as expected. Here's an image of a simple spindle with the indentation.
Attachments
Spindle image.JPG
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

fordtman
Model of CNC Machine: AKG6090

Post by fordtman »

leg image.png
Thanks for your help. I found out what the problem was .... me. I had the order of components in the component tree a little mixed up. I was trying to add the oval cutouts to the wrong component level. Here is an image of the final result: