Pan and zoom in 3d using iMAC with parallels and windows 10

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
PapaBear1044
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro ... Legacy Artisan

Pan and zoom in 3d using iMAC with parallels and windows 10

Post by PapaBear1044 »

Hi,

Since Vectric doesn't support the MAC with Aspire, and I only have a MAC and I love Aspire, I run Windows 10 under Parallels. Works great ... well, almost. The iMAC mouse is a bit different from others - no wheel, for example. This creates a couple of irritating issues that I hope users in the forum have encountered and solved.

First, the mouse is super sensitive and frequently when I'm moving the mouse and accidentally touch the top of the mouse with my finger, the image zoomed to infinity - either too large or too small to do anything, depending upon which way I'm moving the mouse.

Second, I can only zoom to the center of the model, not any of the extremities. Holding down left and right buttons simultaneously doesn't work. And there is no wheel to hold down. Any thoughts?

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Re: Pan and zoom in 3d using iMAC with parallels and windows

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Hi,

Buy a standard mouse with wheel. You will find very good models for a reasonable price. Just ensure you can connect it to a Mac if it is a wireless device.

The Mac mouse is a great device (for PC users:it's more or less a combination of a mouse and a trackpad), but absolutely not the best choice for CAD-CAM work. Don't forget Mac apps take in account the Mac mouse particularities, Windows apps don't.

I am nevertheless able to work with it with Aspire, but maybe Vmware has a better mouse mapping than Parallels.

Hope this helps.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

rlp
Model of CNC Machine: x carve

Post by rlp »

To pan in 3D with a mac using a trackpad, hold down the control and option keys and pan with one finger on the trackpad. To zoom just swipe up or down with 2 fingers. I am using Vcarve Pro with Parallels on a Macbook Pro.

ken whiklo
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CWI Professor 2.2

Post by ken whiklo »

I am new to vcarve and running it on Macbook Pro with parallels. It is running on Windows XP and I cannot get panning in 3D view. Tried the suggestion on control+option on my trackpad. Didn't work. Anyone else have a suggestion?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

There are three options for panning in the 3D view:

1. Click and drag with right mouse button while holding Ctrl.
2. Click and drag holding left and right mouse button.
3. Click and drag with middle button.

How they relate to your combination is a different matter but those are what VCarve/Aspire needs to see.

Stephen50
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Desktop

Post by Stephen50 »

I'm utilizing a Mac Desktop with Parallels and a Trackpad. If you want to try this it may work, click on the apple in the upper left corner of the screen, click on system preferences, click on trackpad and options will appear they may assist you in resolving your situation.

Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger SR24

Post by Holzarbeiter »

There was a similar issue asked on the Camaster forum. Mike Davis found this little tidbit out and it has helped me a bunch using my tracpad with Parallels......

Ok... Vectric on Parallels on Mac.... In a fit of random trial and error, I found that if under VM -> configuration -> Hardware -> Mouse and Keyboard: you select "Don't optimize for games" and deselect "Smooth Scrolling" that the standard MacBook trackpad works sanely with Aspire.

Hooefully it will help,tou as well. Thanks again to Mike Davis for the great tip.
Joe

I have a chip on my shoulder....several more in my hair and lots more all over my shop floor.

ken whiklo
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CWI Professor 2.2

Post by ken whiklo »

Am am using Vcarve pro on a MBP with Parallels 11. Found that by hold the control button down and holding 1 or 2 fingers down on the trackpad and dragging while still pressed it scrolls fine. Been trying to figure this out for awhile.

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

I'm also a MacOS user with Windows under Parallels. Panning works in 3D using a combination of the keyboard and the Apple Magic Rodent. Yes, it's a touchy pointing device for CAD programs because the whole surface of the mouse is a track pad, but I've learned to control my fingers a little better which honestly is good discipline. Someone suggested an alternative mouse...I've tried that as I have a compatible Logitec mouse, but it's performance is not pleasing and doesn't really fix anything outside of the sudden movement if one grazes the mouse surface with a finger.

That all said, I sure hope that there will be a native version of Aspire at some point because I much, much, MUCH prefer the stability and reliability of MacOS over Windows (although Win10 is a big improvement) so I can draw and develop in my native environment and only use Windows for WinCNC and minor tweaks out in the shop.