Little Boxes - Technical Hitch

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
grahamar
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3

Little Boxes - Technical Hitch

Post by grahamar »

Hello,

A newbie so probably making a stupid mistake but I can't fathom out what I am doing wrong - hence asking here for advice.

I am trying to make one of Spalm's little boxes as per http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... ilit=boxes.
I got the bottom piece cut no issue, I am using Aspire V9.010.

When I open the file for box Top RB2 and leave everything in the file as it has been setup I can preview the toolpaths no problem.

However when open the RB2 file from new and go to "edit ->Job Size and Position" and switch from Inches to MM - without changing any other value - I the get the usual warning about needing to re-calculate the toolpaths and would I like to do this now which I click "Yes" to and then the following warning appears:
Capture.PNG
I dont know where it gets the depth of 66 from as the Job Size and Position Screen shows:
Capture2.PNG
Any idea as to what I am doing wrong here?

Many thanks!

Graham

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Re: Little Boxes - Technical Hitch

Post by Mike-S »

That happens a lot when trying to V-carve with overlapping vectors.
If it is a V-carve issue, try limiting the flat depth to 2mm and see if that fixes the problem. If so have a close look at your vectors to see where they loop or cross, use Node Edit to fix.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Check your toolpath cut depth settings. When switching from Metric to Imperial I'm not sure the toolpath information gets changed.

Just had a look at the RB2 job, it has quite a few issues. Try using the Vector Validator, it really could use some cleaning up.
John
Maker of Chips

grahamar

Post by grahamar »

Digging a bit deeper I found that in the RB2 file from "Spalm" there is a layer that has one sector of the pattern. I copied this to a new file and switched from Inches to Metric with no issue.

I then setup a V carve toolpath for the one segment and again no issue. I then mirrored (flip horizontal) that one section to create two sections side by side. I setup v carve tool path for the new section with no issue. Each section, one and two, can be made to have separate toolpaths without errors. I then grouped the two sections into one and then made the V carve tool path again and then got the following error:
Capture3.PNG
I wonder if this is this just bad practice in what I am trying to do? it seems a weird error message if it is. I attach the crv file if anyone else would care to take a look.

Many thanks
Attachments
Problem_carve.crv3d
Problem Carve
(93.5 KiB) Downloaded 133 times

joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Post by joeporter »

SPalm is a little advanced compared to some of us. I would just leave his dimensions as they are; in inches and cut away :) I did as you did and converted to mm and then back to inches and it changed the design somewhere and which side the v cutter was carving on and destroyed the material. The design is complicated and I am just going to cut the way it is and be happy he figured it out and not me :D Good luck...joe

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

On designs this intricate you need to really pay attention to the new Vector Validator feature in V9 it has made it so much easier to find and fix issue like this.

If you run the Vector Validator and then look closely at your original problem_carve file you'll see the problem area. Overlapping vectors as Mike stated will cause this issue and need to be fixed. Node editing fixed those issues. Secondly the design is just slightly over sized for 8 segments to fit in 360°. I reduced the size of the one segment to 99% and used the Circular Copy tool, then rechecked Vector Validator.
Image 009.png
Problem_carve-1.crv3d
(508 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
John
Maker of Chips

grahamar

Post by grahamar »

Thanks High Pockets - I think my understanding is growing!

Would you be able to explain how you fixed the overlapping items in Node edit? I ran the validator as you suggested and can see it found 3 overlaps and 31 intersections for the two segments when they are joined together. I'm not sure what you did - aka What I need to do - in Node edit mode to fix these errors. Do I cut the vectors out or is there another way?

Sorry if this is a stupid question! _ I'm just trying to understand how to remedy this - not just for this job but in the future too.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

grahamar wrote:Thanks High Pockets - I think my understanding is growing!

Would you be able to explain how you fixed the overlapping items in Node edit? I ran the validator as you suggested and can see it found 3 overlaps and 31 intersections for the two segments when they are joined together. I'm not sure what you did - aka What I need to do - in Node edit mode to fix these errors. Do I cut the vectors out or is there another way?

Sorry if this is a stupid question! _ I'm just trying to understand how to remedy this - not just for this job but in the future too.
Delete the circles and all vectors to the right of the vertical center line.

Zoom all the way in on the overlapping vectors.
Image 001.png
Image 001.png (1.3 KiB) Viewed 2617 times
First off the vector crosses the vertical center line, this needs to be fixed also.
Image 002.png
Click Node Edit and change the top node from Smooth to Bezier curve then drag the node handle over a bit so it's easier to work with.
Image 003.png
Image 004.png
Turn the vector segment into a line. It doesn't need to be a curve. Actually it needs to be straight.
Image 006.png
Zoom all the way in and move the top node to the vertical center line, do the same for the bottom node. Now highlight all the vectors, zoom all the way in then move everything one click to the left of the center line. This will prevent intersecting errors.
Image 007.png
Run the Vector Validator until there are zero errors.

Hope this makes since and helps some.
John
Maker of Chips

grahamar

Post by grahamar »

Thank you - that is all very clear.

I really appreciate the time/effort you gave to help me with this!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It's also worth pointing out that if you're cutting an existing file there is no need to switch from imperial to metric or vice versa. What matters is the units of the post processor you're using and what your machine is set to use. If you use a metric post processor then all the imperial units are converted to their metric equivalent when you generate the cut file.

grahamar

Post by grahamar »

Thanks Adrian.

I had assumed ( wrongly) that 4 inches would correspond to 4mm in the metric post-processor hence wanting to change the units in the model in the first instance. Thats a good tip to know.