V9 Two Sided Model

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

V9 Two Sided Model

Post by joeporter »

I have V9 Aspire. I am trying to use the new double sided feature. It seems that the tutorials focus on machining. I have done several projects using the old practice of double sided machining successfully.
Now, I want to do 3D modeling, like a bowl shape, using the new double sided features of V9. So far, I haven't been really successful. Is there a tutorial in the works about bowl shaped modeling? I am thinking about something along the lines of the "Rag or Cloth Bowl" that was done recently.
I have studied the tutorials and read the manual as far as what I think is applicable to my project but am not really getting the outcomes I want.
Does anyone have any guidance or suggestions? Thanks for any help...joe

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Re: V9 Two Sided Model

Post by Fleming »

Joe,

Brief summary for that process:

1. Set up for a two-sided model
2. Create a circle and make a bowl recess shape of it - use create shape and Combine mode of Subtract.
3. Copy that object to the 2nd side.
4. Go to 2nd side. Use Offset Model tool to expand the object the amount you want for thickness of the sides - say .25"
5. Set that model to Add.

Paul

joeporter
Vectric Wizard

Post by joeporter »

OK, Paul, thanks for the reply. I will try that...joe

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Paul is faster then I am :D :D :D :D

Here's my approach using the Dome_Dish_60 model.

A bowl is dealing with a positive and negative it takes a bit more thought and planning. Since you've created bowls using Aspire prior to the double sided feature you should have much trouble, it's the same thought process made easier.
The outside of the Dish model needs to be "X" size bigger in the XY as well as "X" higher than the inside Dish model.
bowl.png
John
Maker of Chips

joeporter
Vectric Wizard

Post by joeporter »

Thanks, John, I think I will stay up all night studying until it dawns on me...joe :)

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Joe,

If the file for the bowl in the picture would help PM me your email address and I'll send it to you. It's too big to upload to the board, even zipped.
John
Maker of Chips

joeporter
Vectric Wizard

Post by joeporter »

Thanks, John. Based on your and Paul's advice, I am working on a new and more direct strategy. Hopefully I will have some success with this. I will let you know how it works out...joe

dbrook
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4 DIY Router

Post by dbrook »

I must be missing something when I attempt to develop a two sided model using V9 trial version following Fleming/Paul's steps above. Everything works properly following steps 1 through 4. When right click on the offset model component under Level 1 and change the check mark from the "merge to the highest .." to add as indicated in step 5, the generated model has the recess on side one with a rounded rim and side 2 is a flat surface (File attached). If I leave the check mark in merge to the highest ... and attempt to generate the tool path I get an error that the model is thicker than the material. Multiple attempts produce the same result.

I am not sure what is happening here but I can create the two sided model using the offset tool in my 8.5 version without any problem.

What am I not doing or doing wrong? Is there an issue with V9 trial version?

Dan
Attachments
Side One
Side One