3D Carving Time

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

3D Carving Time

Post by Rcnewcomb »

The next time you get frustrated how long 3D takes to carve consider the carving time on these projects:
Attachments
FullSizeRender (20).jpg
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: 3D Carving Time

Post by Leo »

Every time I see something that I say WOW.

Every time I get into the topic of CNC vs Hand carve, I say, NO, cnc is not replacing the hand carved.

I can see a 4 axis or 5 axis -- Rotating head - - NOT a rotary axis, to be able to do that job. This is NOT vectric software to program it. Even so - there is a skill involved to design, model, program, tool selection, process.

Awesome - I would love to own some of that artwork, either CNC of hand carved.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

I'll bet many of those skilled hand carvers could beat a CNC time-wise trying to carve the same thing. :D

Fascinating how intricate those types of carvings are.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Desert_Woodworker
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by Desert_Woodworker »

This is a project that I tinkered with- 5x7" 20 hours of continous machine time- If this were to be "hand carved" I would love to know how much time it would take and could they even accomplish a similar hand cut version?
Attachments
1A_final.jpg

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Do a Google image search on Jepara Wood Carving to be amazed. This is a town in Indonesia known as a center for wood carving.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I was amazed when Dale first posted this & it still amazes me just as much, I doubt CNC will ever replace these guys because they are probably on a very low salary so it wouldn't be cost effective.
For those that missed it this was the post Dale put up on the forum a while ago :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... ng#p179085

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Desert_Woodworker wrote:This is a project that I tinkered with- 5x7" 20 hours of continous machine time- If this were to be "hand carved" I would love to know how much time it would take and could they even accomplish a similar hand cut version?
A hand carved version, done by a good carver, would likely be much better. But, it would cost a fortune.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I was amazed when Dale first posted this & it still amazes me just as much, I doubt CNC will ever replace these guys because they are probably on a very low salary so it wouldn't be cost effective.
What I see from some prices of what these items are selling for, they probably don't make much more than a $1.00/day. (about what I'm paid). Gary

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

garylmast wrote:
What I see from some prices of what these items are selling for, they probably don't make much more than a $1.00/day. (about what I'm paid). Gary
Wow, I am going to have to move & get a job near you Gary if your getting paid high wages like that :lol: :lol:

Desert_Woodworker
Vectric Craftsman

This is a project that I tinkered with- 5x7" 20 hours of continous machine time- If this were to be "hand carved" I would love to know how much time it would take and could they even accomplish a similar hand cut version?

A hand carved version, done by a good carver, would likely be much better. But, it would cost a fortune.
Gerry

Not much of a response from a Wizard!
Good carver? please describe
Much better? how is that
costs? how much yours vs mine

Desert_Woodworker
Vectric Craftsman

please forgive my last "post" :evil: :twisted: :roll: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Desert_Woodworker
Vectric Craftsman

please forgive my last "post" :evil: :twisted: :roll: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

I was fortunate to have seen some of this type of work up close. One of my customers had an 18" tall wooden carved piece of a sitting male religious figure that had been presented to her mother, who was an ambassador to an Indonesian country in the 50's. The detail was simply amazing. The person that carved it used nails sharpened on rocks for carving tools, and took a year to carve the piece. He was compensated around $1000 for the carving by his government. His talent made him one of the wealthiest men in the village.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Post by mikeacg »

20 hours of machine time? What about all the time it took to 'build' the 3D model?
I still hand-carve some of my stuff because it is faster on one-offs to start making chips than to spend the time programming it...
Even pieces that come off the CNC still require a bit of handwork to finish them! Don't get me wrong - I love my machines - but they are not the answer to everything!

Mike

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

There is a huge difference between hand carved and machine carved. HUGE.

Here is a carving I did a few weeks ago (it is not quite finished):
Capture.PNG

The first notable difference is the undercutting. Without it, the carving would look lousy. The second big difference is the sharp inside corners. Looking at a machine carving there are no sharp inside corners because of the ball nose cutter. That sharp corner creates the shadow line needed to define the carving. Machine carvings always look a bit "blurry" because of that ball nose cutter.

BTW, the pic above is straight on, not taken from an angle. This is a project from Mary May. If you have not seen her site on handcarving take a drive over there. It is a great site and she offers some free lessons in addition to a subscription. https://www.marymaycarving.com/carvingschool/

Machine carvings look ok from a distance if a small enough ball nose was used. But if the carving is to be viewed at a distance then it is usually fairly large and the amount of time to carve it using a small ball nose is outrageous.

Ok, all that being said. . . . I do both types of carving. I also use the CNC to rough out a carving, saves a lot of time and gets me pointed in the right direction.

Here is one of those:
XMas Bell.png
This one is about 4 inches tall.

An interesting thing that most any carver will tell you is that the first one takes quite a while, the ones after that go much faster. In this case, the first one took about 3 hours. If I go into the shop to make one today it will take under an hour. The same thing is true when using the machine if you take into account the time required to program it.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns