Mortise and tenon sizing

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire

Mortise and tenon sizing

Postby Jerry In Maine » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:02 pm

This is more of a general woodworking question but I'm using Aspire so I'll post this here.

I have zero woodworking experience other than perhaps making a birdhouse when I was a kid. So far I've just used Aspire to make plaques and signs...nothing whete parts have to fit together until now.

See the pics. I have a tenon that fits into a sort of half mortise. Both pieces are 3" high. Tenon is 1.5" and mortise is the same. See that edges of the two pieces don't line up since both are the same size...they don't line up in thickness either.

Is there a standard - or general rule of thumb - that says to oversize the mortise, or to undersize the tenon to get a proper fit and edge alignment. If so is there a way to tell by how much to vary the size so that the edges line up after assembly?

Thanks

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Jerry In Maine
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: CNC Router Parts CRP4848

Re: Mortise and tenon sizing

Postby ger21 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:42 pm

Is there a standard - or general rule of thumb - that says to oversize the mortise, or to undersize the tenon to get a proper fit and edge alignment. If so is there a way to tell by how much to vary the size so that the edges line up after assembly?

Not really. It would just depend on how precise your work is. The more skilled you are, the tighter the tolerances can be. It's kinda hard to tell exactly what you are doing there? Normally, a tenon fits inside a mortise. You'd want a loose "slip fit", leaving enough room to get it together with glue applied.
Gerry
ger21
Vectric Wizard

Re: Mortise and tenon sizing

Postby Phil » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:15 pm

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Return to Aspire - General