Lines in Finished work

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
drawersbydesign
Model of CNC Machine: NEBULA CNC ROUTER

Lines in Finished work

Post by drawersbydesign »

I am new to the Forum so you will have to excuse me if this question has already been discussed. I have the Nebula router with the Air cooled Spindle. For my deign software I use Aspire by Vectric, My Question ... When I am doing a finish pass on anything 3D it leaves lines in the finish work, I will attach some pics of past projects. Here is what my settings are and what i'm using:
using 1/8"Ball Nose W/stepover .0075 or 6% ( I have tried almost everything from 4% - 12% Stepover with same results)
spindle speed 16000 RPM
Feed Rate 30.0 inches/Min
I am using raster (but I have tried Offset)
On the Roughing Machine Toolpath, on my Maching Allowance I generally have it set at .03
the diamond shaped pictures are on Soft Maple and the pic of the dog is in Alder

any ideas what I could do or is this typical? any advice is helpful - thanks
Attachments
diamond close up
diamond close up
dog
dog

Pete Cyr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II

Re: Lines in Finished work

Post by Pete Cyr »

1/8"Ball Nose W/stepover .0075 or 6% Those are good values

I would decrease speed to 12K vice 16. You are probably creating dust as you cut vice chips

The appearance is not normal and indicative of a problem.
- Either your roughing pass is creating defects that are not cleaned up by the finish pass (is your roughing pass being cut with the same bit you use for a roughing pass - is you gantry deflecting during the roughing pass)
-or your bit/gantry is deflecting during you finish pass
-or you model has defects and you finished carving is an exact copy of a crummy model
-you router is not securely mounted

Something is flexing or shifting as you cut

drawersbydesign
Model of CNC Machine: NEBULA CNC ROUTER

Post by drawersbydesign »

For my roughing pass I use A 3/16 End Mill bit
when I have watched it, I can definitely see that it is removing material on the finish pass.
the work piece is securely mounted to the table - I will double check the router but I am inclined to say it is secure.
I am wondering about the model/design... it is one I did myself, I am new to this so this may be a stupid question but ... If I cant see anything in the design when I look at it/view it in 3D how else would I know if its in the design? any videos or tutorials that you can think of that may help with making sure its a good design?
thanks for your help

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

When I am doing a finish pass on anything 3D it leaves lines in the finish work
To me it looks like there is some play, binding, or looseness in the Z axis.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I also vote on something loose in the machine.

I looked at the ProBotix Nebula machine and they don't say much about the guides. OK I just noticed they are round guide rails. Check alignment and adjustment of the trucks on the rails.

Check the adjustability of the guides - they might be too loose. Check all 3 axis's

Check the connections between the stepper motors and the lead-screws - make sure they are tight.

In the linuxCNC - look into the acel and decel particularly on the "Z" axis.

There is something going on in the machine.

That is not a programming issue. Nothing to do with stepover or anything like that. It also not an issue with your model, It's almost certainly a machine issue.

That machine should be able to handle that job with ease.

Was that a kit built?
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

woody53
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Meteor 25 x 50

Post by woody53 »

I have a Probotix Meteor and @ over 4 years old haven't had any problems. Call Probotix and talk to Len or Jeremy and tell them the problem and they will give you the fix. They're support is very good.

DAve

Pete Cyr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II

Post by Pete Cyr »

If you perform a simulated cut in aspire and it looks good the actual cut should look just like the simulation.....if the actual cut does not look like the simulation (and the actual cut look worse) then there is a problem with your CNC.

Aspire renders a very accurate simulation.

jarm2
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: C&CNC electronics 4x4 ext aluminum table

Post by jarm2 »

Are you leaving enough allowance between your roughing cut and your finishing cut?
Aspire 11 ViaCAD Pro 12 Corel 2019 W 10, 2.2 kw spindle wireless pendant

cjskelton
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Meteor

Post by cjskelton »

What was your solution? I'm having the same issue with my Probotix Meteor.

Jay

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

cjskelton wrote:What was your solution? I'm having the same issue with my Probotix Meteor.

Jay
Hi Jay,

I think you may need to contact Probotix directly. The original poster hasn't posted here on the Forum for almost a year.

Good luck. I hope Probotix Tech Support can help you.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

drawersbydesign: are you willing to try a sample cut using the same bits but with a step-over of 0.015 (12%)?

In 10 years of cutting 3D jobs I have never had this sort of problem. Just before Christmas I cut a detailed job using a tapered ball-nose bit with a 1mm dia tip (for the first time) using a few thousandths of an inch step-over. I got the same problem you have. Since then I have had no similar problems but am back to using 1/8" bits or thicker with a larger (i.e. 0.01" or or more) step-over.

I have a suspicion about what the problem is but need to do more tests. If your test with 0.015" step-over works that would me help figure things out.

Steven