Two rail sweep query

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Hourigan82
Model of CNC Machine: Impact Storm

Two rail sweep query

Post by Hourigan82 »

Hi everyone, I have been trying to make a simple curved marble track with a 3mm fall, and I'm getting a lot of noise on the outside of the track. I'll clarify.
I have drawn a circle and cut a quadrant out, leaving me with 3/4 of a circle for my drive rails. I then drew the two curves for the profile, and created the profile using two rail sweep.
What I'm finding though, is the grey scale representation of the model is quite pixelly (real word?) around the inner and outer curvature of the shape. When I calculate the 3d finish tool path, it is picking up all these pixels and generating them as tool movements, leaving me with an almost cratered finish around the outer and inner tracks. I have tried increasing modelling resolution on the set up screen, but it doesn't seem to have any affect.
Any ideas?

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Two rail sweep query

Post by mtylerfl »

What is your job resolution setting? Is your material size only as large as it absolutely needs to be? Did you place a Zero Plane on your job layout so the swept shape has a reference to make the recessed marble track cleanly?
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

You may be best served using the molding and/or fluting toolpath the create this type of shape. Your project is much more geometrical than organic. 3D is more suited to shapes that cannot be defined by math.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Adding a zero plane may solve the problem, but Gary's suggestion about a molding or fluting toolpath is probably a better solution for this project.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

A 2D approach and/or Gary's molding toolpath suggestion is way more efficient (that's what I would have done for a simple project such as the marble tracks).

Hopefully, the OP has also received some clues as to why he has the pixelation problem for the approach he took and asked about.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Hourigan82
Model of CNC Machine: Impact Storm

Post by Hourigan82 »

Thanks all, I eventually realised a fluted toolpath for this simple shape would probably do the job, but I'm still curious as to why I was having this problem. I will have to re-watch the tutorials for the zero plane, getting my cad packages mixed up and can't remember where it is in Aspire.
Cheers all.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Hourigan82 wrote:Thanks all, I eventually realised a fluted toolpath for this simple shape would probably do the job, but I'm still curious as to why I was having this problem. I will have to re-watch the tutorials for the zero plane, getting my cad packages mixed up and can't remember where it is in Aspire.
Cheers all.
You didn't answer Michaels first post about job size & modelling resolution, this quick tips video will explain some of it for you.

http://support.vectric.com/tips-and-tri ... ideo_id=10

Add Zero plane can be found under the modelling tab about half way down :lol: