Adding Draft to Pocket on Model

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
newrule
Model of CNC Machine: Next Wave Shark HD3 Extended Bed

Adding Draft to Pocket on Model

Post by newrule »

Greetings. I'm using Aspire to machine the tooling part for a vacuformed tray that is similar to one that you would see inside of a chocolates box. I have several pocket toolpaths made to create the cavities, but since the end product will be a buck for vacuformed plastic, I need to add a 15% angle (or draft) to all my vertical walls of the pocket. I see that Add Draft is an option in the 3D component area of the program, but I haven't found a quick and easy way to add draft on all these pocket toolpaths in the traditional milling area.

If that's not possible, is there a way to take the "rendered" preview of what the CNC would machine with my straight pockets and then bring that in as a complete 3d component, then add the drafts inside that part of the program?

I've managed to get one made, but as I was afraid would happen, the mold tool is stuck inside the plastic because of the tight fit between the part and the tool.

I've attached pictures of the first go.

Surely someone else that has used this program to build molds has faced this issue. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

I'm using a CNC Shark HD3 Extended Bed.

-Ryan Johnson
NewRuleFX
Attachments
Previewed Toolpath
Previewed Toolpath
Completed Wood Mold Tool
Completed Wood Mold Tool
Vacuformed Pattern
Vacuformed Pattern
Prototype of finished product.
Prototype of finished product.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Adding Draft to Pocket on Model

Post by adze_cnc »

You'll either have to model it in 3D or use a pattern-maker's router bit (I've seen 7' and 10' ones but not the 8' 35" you're looking for).

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Use a tapered end mill for your pocketing. These are common for machining drafts in the mold making industry. You may not get exactly the 8.53* side angle you are looking for , but you should be close
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

newrule
Model of CNC Machine: Next Wave Shark HD3 Extended Bed

Post by newrule »

Thank you.

I do have some tapered bits, I will give that a shot. I'm guessing that the best way to go would be to do the majority with straight bits, and then do a last finishing pass with a bit change to the tapered bit.

Thanks guys.

-RJ

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Yup, the tapered bits are the way to go, much faster than doing a 3D cut. Also will get a better finish.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Olle
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna MCNCIQ

Post by Olle »

newrule wrote:Thank you.

I do have some tapered bits, I will give that a shot. I'm guessing that the best way to go would be to do the majority with straight bits, and then do a last finishing pass with a bit change to the tapered bit.

Thanks guys.

-RJ
I need to make similar cuts now and then, and I have found that it's fairly reasonable to order custom bits (I order mine from Orbit Tools: http://www.orbittools.com/). I just got tired looking for special bits and once I did find something it was often only "almost right" anyway, so I find it well worth the investment. Any shank length, any length of cut, any angle, up spiral, down spiral etc, you get them made exactly the way you want them. The ones I have bought have varied between (if I remember correctly) $140 and $190 so they're not exactly cheap, but it's still in line with what you have to pay for many high end standard bits. And the pleasure of having a bit that's 100% right for the job is priceless. :D