Need Some Vcarve Inlay Expertise

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger SR24

Need Some Vcarve Inlay Expertise

Post by Holzarbeiter »

I am working on a simple name plaque and wanted to do a contrasting wood for the name, title and border. I was able to do
The names, etc, with the vcarve inlay, but for the love of me,I cannot get the ring to work. It either comes out too wide or too narrow. I have tried making the ring inlay using a two rail sweep and have the same issue. Im hoping before I pull out what little hair I have left, someone can show me what Im doing wrong. Thanks in advance for any help.
Im attaching a pic of the plaque. I can upload the crv file if needed.
Attachments
IMG_0079.JPG

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Need Some Vcarve Inlay Expertise

Post by FixitMike »

Are you drawing a border around the entire male inlay? It is necessary.

If you post the file I bet you will get your answer to the problem.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard

Post by Holzarbeiter »

Thanks, FixitMike. Yes, I do have a border around everything. I will post the crv file in a day or so...right now I need to get through tax season. Then I can get back to my shop and the file. Im thinking my issue has to do with bit geometry. I get the inverse ridge to inlay, but its the size that keeps coming up incorrect.

Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard

Post by Holzarbeiter »

OK..I finally can come up for air from tax season. I am attaching the crv file I used to create the name plaque. Im hoping some of the smarter folks can see something Im missing or doing wrong in trying to get the inlay
for the ring around the plaque. Everything else works just fine. I appreciate any help!
Attachments
Gregs Name Plate w toolpaths_5.crv3d
(1.81 MiB) Downloaded 106 times

Bill_L
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha

Post by Bill_L »

The first thing that I see is that on the female part you are defining your border groove with a single line and using a profile toolpath which is outside/right of your geometry. On your male part you use two lines to define the border and their position will not align with your groove. Your corresponding geometry (male and female) should be defined by the same lines. Delete your current female border line and copy your male border geometry (dual lines) to the female layer. Then, since you are using the same 60 degree bit cut them with one toolpath instead multiple. Lastly, cut you male part as is and all should fit.

Bill

Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard

Post by Holzarbeiter »

Bill, thanks for your reply. The reason I added the other line on the male portion was because I did not even get a ring when running the file. It just carved everything flat beyond the names, etc. Or am I missing your point...very possible since I am so new to this?!
Joe

I have a chip on my shoulder....several more in my hair and lots more all over my shop floor.

Bill_L
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Bill_L »

Okay, in order to get matching parts the geometry to define both male and female needs to be the same. You are accomplishing this with your text but not the border. You need the same double lines that you have created for the male border part to define the female border part. So, delete the single line that you have for the female and copy the double lines from the male side over to the female side. Actually I have done this for you. Examine the new file and the new toolpaths to see the difference. If there is any more questions, PM me and I'll give you a call.
Attachments
Gregs Name Plate New.zip
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 96 times

Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard

Post by Holzarbeiter »

Bill, thank you very much for your help. I will download the file and look it over to see and understand the changes. If I still have questions, I will indeed pm you. Again, many thanks!
Joe

I have a chip on my shoulder....several more in my hair and lots more all over my shop floor.

Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard

Post by Holzarbeiter »

Holzarbeiter wrote:Bill, thank you very much for your help. I will download the file and look it over to see and understand the changes. If I still have questions, I will indeed pm you. Again, many thanks!
Quick update....I downloaded your corrected crv file, ran the simulation and it looks GREAT! From what I can see, you have solved my issue. I cant wait to run the new tool paths and see the finished result.
I will be sure to post an update here in a day or so. My goal is to try the new file tomorrow if time allows, but that pesky "life' gets in the way of cnc time. THANK YOU!!!!
Joe

Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard

Post by Holzarbeiter »

Bill, I ran the new crv file today and it worked perfectly! I am attaching a photo to show the scrap piece I ran.
While it may look like beavers gnawed the inlay, that was just me not paying attention while bandsawing the two pieces.
Thats just self inflicted stupidy I can fix. The important thing is the ring looks fantastic. Thank you very much for your help...I truly appreciate it.
Attachments
IMG_0081.JPG
Joe

Bill_L
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Bill_L »

Success, isn't it great? When both parts are mated, I remove the excess material on the CNC. I shave it off at about .03125" to .0625" per pass and leave about .03125" proud. Then I remove the rest with either the drum sander or random orbital sander.

Bill

Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard

Post by Holzarbeiter »

Bill_L wrote:Success, isn't it great? When both parts are mated, I remove the excess material on the CNC. I shave it off at about .03125" to .0625" per pass and leave about .03125" proud. Then I remove the rest with either the drum sander or random orbital sander.

Bill
Indeed, success is wonderful. It was so satisfying when the two pieces fit together like a glove. I had toyed with the idea of planing the part down using the cnc, but I used a 4/4 piece of scrap cherry and I just couldnt bring myself to "wasting" that much wood. When I run the pieces for real, I will use a less thick inlay piece and do the planing on the Cnc.
Again, many thanks for pointing out my errors in the file...and fixing them too!
Joe