Metric and Imperial Tools

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Roskrow
Model of CNC Machine: GX-6060 CNC Router Table

Metric and Imperial Tools

Post by Roskrow »

All the Vectric Projects etc are set in Imperial measurements.

Virtually all my cutters are Metric. If possible I want to avoid having 2 set of cutters (Metric and Imperial.)

Question:- Can I just use the nearest Metric equivelant cutter. Or have I got to dig into the piggy bank, and purchase more ?

Any advice will be MOST welcome
:roll:

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Re: Metric and Imperial Tools

Post by garylmast »

I use both imperial and metric. Your tool database has two sections, which is self explanatory.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Doesn't matter if the tool is imperial or metric just so long as it's the right tool for the job.

Whether you can use a 12mm tool instead of 1/2" tool (for example) depends on the project. 99% of the time it would make no difference after recalculating the project but if the project was made in 1/2" material and relied on 1/2" slots then it would.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I know people just use the default toolpaths that Vectric supply but in reality you aren't learning anything by doing that & really the toolpaths should be checked to ensure you are not exceeding the speed & feed settings for the machine you have.
All you really need to do with any of the Vectric projects is to re toolpath them using metric rather than imperial tools :lol: :lol:

I actually normally go a step further & convert the whole project to metric but that's just me, there is absolutely no reason you have to do that :lol: :lol:

Kayvon
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark

Post by Kayvon »

Vectric is good about letting you mix and match units. I do all my design in imperial units, but I have bits in 1/4" and 6mm. I just select the bit I want without worrying about the units. Once the bit is in the database, Vectric takes care of the rest.

Roskrow
Model of CNC Machine: GX-6060 CNC Router Table

Post by Roskrow »

Wow !, As always you are ALL just so helpful.
I can now make progress ( I hope) :D :wink: :idea: