Clear area inside/outside

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
johnnydoughey
Vectric Craftsman

Clear area inside/outside

Post by johnnydoughey »

I've decide to make some frames and thought it would be quicker to use a larger bit and just offset cut the frame separately from the scene. However, when I start with a frame and design a scene inside, I have been unable to separate the two... (draw a square around the scene, choose it and the scene model, click on clear area outside... the tool still wants to cut the entire project. Same thing happens when I highlight my frame and a square inside does not clear the area inside...
What am I doing wrong (Aspire 8)
Thanks in advance...

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Re: Clear area inside/outside

Post by Mike-S »

Are you setting up bounding vectors for the cut?
Attachments
frameEdge.jpg

johnnydoughey
Vectric Craftsman

Post by johnnydoughey »

yep drew a square vector bordering the scene and inside the frame...clicked on the scene and held the shift key down while clicking on the square vector line. Did the same with the frame and vector... didn't work.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

So are you saying that the clear inside/outside is not removing the parts of the scene that you want it to or that after you cleared it you can't machine it? You would need to start with two copies of the scene to do what you want as the clear outside/inside destroys the unneeded part.

The toolpath would need to be Model Boundary or Selected Vectors to miss out the blank sections.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Can you post some screen shots? Like Adrian not 100% what problem you are having, I have never had a problem using a vector to remove a border/frame from a model using the clear area tools but then I am still very new to Aspire so something I have only done a dozen times or so. If you want to keep & use both parts use the third icon along, "split component using a vector" will do that :lol: :lol:

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

clicked on the scene and held the shift key down while clicking on the square vector line.
You only need to select a bounding vector for the 3D cut. Any components inside that closed vector will be cut. You don't need to select the components.
Attachments
fishvector.jpg

johnnydoughey
Vectric Craftsman

Post by johnnydoughey »

Thanks much... choosing model boundary worked.