Intarsia Strategy

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
pfrancke
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Re: Intarsia Strategy

Post by pfrancke »

Dale1944 wrote:Instead of V-carving on the backer board, how about plotting out the intarsia design with a marker bit? Different colors could be used if that were desired. This bit is more expensive than some others, and mechanically talented could make their own.

http://www.widgetworksunlimited.com/CNC ... _thick.htm
for what I'm doing I think a v-carve will do the job nicely. The Plotter Pen concept looks really cool though. For artwork on paper, I figure a large printer is the tool. But having said that, this thing sounds pretty intriguing. Makes me wonder about "spring loaded" bits that could hold a pencil stub for instance. Using our tables as a drafting table ... Or using this concept for other media like paint. The collet holds the tool and the tool delivers the material. Heck, makes you wonder if our CNC machines could do additive 3d printing for example. Having lots of Z might be key.

now, if I ever want to create some kind of plans... this thing will be the first thing that comes to mind. Forty bucks for the tool and 12 bucks for replacement ink, affordable enough, just wondering about how long the tip lasts and how far the ink goes. It would be an interesting topic on its own and I wonder who all has ever tried the thing (but for 40 bucks, it is on the edge of getting just to see).
Piet
http://www.flickr.com/pfrancke/

redwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro6

Post by redwood »

I wonder if you could color a sign or model with those pens?
Mark
Pioneer, CA

ElevationCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO-Acorn , Shapeoko SO3 XXL & SO3s

Post by ElevationCreations »

You can color them with sharpie, but the sharpies tend to dry out rather quickly on wood. you wouldn't end up with consistent color throughouut the toolpath. We use only small toolpaths to help disguise the drying out of the markers.

We modified one of our CNC's as a plotter with sharpies, but now looking to use an airbrush mounted to the Z carriage to do the drawings due to the limitations of sharpies on wood.

armbrusterco
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Roland MDX-40A

Post by armbrusterco »

Piet,

Looking at your flickr photo -- the completed eagle head is stunning! Great work.
Bob Armbruster
www.ArmbrusterCo.com