Perpendicular lines

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Frunple

Perpendicular lines

Post by Frunple »

Looking for an easier way to make a perpendicular line to an existing vector which is on an angle other than "right".
I'm thinking there has to be an easier way than cutting the existing line , copy/paste, then 0,0.
What other ways are there?

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: Perpendicular lines

Post by 4DThinker »

Not 100% sure but a feature like that "might" be included in version 9. They teased "smart snapping", but haven't yet shown using it to draw perp lines to existing angled lines.

I find it relatively easy to copy the current line then paste a copy back, then as you said 0,0. Then I drag the line by an end point to snap it where I want it to start.

If you know what angle the original line is, then you can click to start a new line, then use the left panel to enter the angle and length you want the new segment to extend.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Have you tried the Offset selected vector tool?
John
Maker of Chips

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

If the vector is a line, then its simple. Copy/paste to get a second copy. With that copy still selected press R to rotate. Rotate 90*

If not a single line, then draw one over the existing, select and rotate
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

whoops!!! Miss read sorry :oops:
John
Maker of Chips

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

This is definitely a feature you'll get in version 9 when it comes out. The video produced by Router Bob shows him drawing a line that snaps to perpendicular from an existing angled line. Line, click, click. Done.

4D

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

4DThinker wrote:This is definitely a feature you'll get in version 9 when it comes out. The video produced by Router Bob shows him drawing a line that snaps to perpendicular from an existing angled line. Line, click, click. Done.

4D
Don't be so sure of that....
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

At 3:06 in this video:

Smart snapping. If this is a feature they delete before official release then they would be fools. JMHO.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

I was thinking of drawing To a line at 90°, rather than From a line at 90°. I don't think there's a perpendicular snapping option when going TO a line.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

The third option is drawing a perpendicular line THROUGH an existing line. Where neither the beginning or end of the new line is on the previous line.
So far I haven't seen anyone demonstrate the last 2 options but my money is on both being there.

BTW, how does one (like router Bob ) get on the list to have a pre-release version? I'd happily make videos demonstrating the new features in exchange for early access.

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

4DThinker wrote:The third option is drawing a perpendicular line THROUGH an existing line. Where neither the beginning or end of the new line is on the previous line.
So far I haven't seen anyone demonstrate the last 2 options but my money is on both being there.

BTW, how does one (like router Bob ) get on the list to have a pre-release version? I'd happily make videos demonstrating the new features in exchange for early access.
I just seen that video a few minutes ago. Heck I would gladly get on that same list. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

In V9, you can easily draw a perpendicular line through another line as long as you are at a node location (your snapping reference). You don't have to draw the new perpendicular line starting from the node, though - you can draw to it or through it.

There is a technique where you hover over a node, move the cursor away from the node to "wake up" the snapping feature, then you can draw from that "away point" through, or to, the reference node on the first line.

Kind of hard to describe, but not hard to get the hang of once you have done it a couple times. It becomes clear how it works then.

BTW, you are going to LOVE the new snapping features!!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

ger21 wrote:...I don't think there's a perpendicular snapping option when going TO a line.
Yes, there is. See my post above.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

Of course my next question is: Can you use the smart snap features, perhaps with keyboard entry, to draw a line at a specific angle other than 90 to a previously drawn line? Click to start a line, hover until perpendicular icon appears. then type in "-37a1.5(enter)" for angle and length from the line you click on to start?

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

4DThinker wrote:Of course my next question is: Can you use the smart snap features, perhaps with keyboard entry, to draw a line at a specific angle other than 90 to a previously drawn line? Click to start a line, hover until perpendicular icon appears. then type in "-37a1.5(enter)" for angle and length from the line you click on to start?
Yup. (-37a1.5l) a=angle, l=length (you don't need to wait for the perpendicular symbol to appear, just make your keyboard entries after clicking on your desired start point for your line)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC