Custom form cutter

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Stephen50
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Desktop

Custom form cutter

Post by Stephen50 »

I'm creating a new waste board for my Desktop and for hold downs I want to try a T Slot Cutter. I followed Vectrics website of vectric.com/support/faq/custom-form-cutters.html produced the right side of the profile and when I went to toolbar new selected form tool, the error message I received stated no suitable vector selected for form tool. What I drew does not show in the description for entering specific data related to the cutter The slot cutter I'm using is Rockler part number 26099. Any suggestions?
Attachments
t slot cutter.crv3d
(12 KiB) Downloaded 129 times

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: Custom form cutter

Post by scottp55 »

Stephen,
Tool database won't accept any undercut in a form tool(or any bit).
Simplest way is to describe it as an end mill the same size as the cutters on the shank(for a keyhole).
Might want to make a note in the database of the exact Diameter and thickness of the slot cutter as well, as cutting out the waste and a pocket for the head is a good idea for a smoother cut.
Search Keyhole cutter or slot cutter and you'll see lots of different tips though.
Was another thread on doing undercuts with Gcode recently, but I'm not good enough at code myself.
It was fairly recent though.
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

RichardF
Vectric Craftsman

Post by RichardF »

Even the program itself doesn't handle undercuts.

The screenshot with undercuts is during import and the other one is the imported part.

Richard
Attachments
During Import
During Import
After Import
After Import

Stephen50
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Desktop

Post by Stephen50 »

Thanks for the response I thought maybe I designed something incorrectly which for me is a possibility. I'll use an end mill and adjust the specs of the slot cutter into the tool database.

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Stephen...
As an FYI, when importing or designing a form tool, as you draw the right side of the tool, all vectors MUST go to the right and up (assumes a lower left starting point). Or.... mathematically between zero and 90 degrees. Any vectors that go to the left or down will produce the error.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com