Have hit upon a permanent solution, didn't happen the way I expected, but CNC is full of surprises.
I will as per my style explain in depth.
I tried a vbit on some scrap, did the hammers. Didn't look too sharp, lost some detail and was still opaque.
I do have engraving bits, 1/8 shank. Until recently all I had was a .25 collet but I got the collet set from precisebits, glad I did. Tried the little engraving bit using a plain pocket cut with great results. Not much loss of detail and the cut was perfectly clear.
So, using my new water based spray, I engraved the whole thing with that bit. That was a mistake - Pockets came out clear as expected, but didn't do so well on the profile, lost alot of detail, thats the 1st pic.
So obviously what I needed to do was do the pockets with the engraving tool, and the profile with the drag bit [I did some of the smaller pockets with the drag bit as well, like the little notches in the saw blades and the spikes in the collar]. It also struck me that since the pockets are going to be nice and clear, I didn't need to use a clear coat, so I went back to my rustoleum black.
Perfect combo, thats the 2nd pic. Pockets are nice and clear, profile is nice and detailed, no need for clear coat so no chance of crinkling. I decided to pocket the circle too, adds 20 minutes to the cut but the extra pop is worth it. Also decided yellow is the way to go, unless there is a brighter white I don't see any reason to use it again. One last thing I might try, I think the eyes might look better just profiled, looks kinda buggy with them filled in.
Thanks to everyone steering my mind this way. I often think outside the box and most if not all of what was said I have thought about, but I am also hard headed and I was thinking "I am going to find a solution with this bit and with this paint, and thats it". There might well be a solution with the bit, but I don't think there is with the paint/plexi/clear coat combo I was using. For whatever reason, that combo was entirely unpredictable and the odds better than not that it would fail.
Now I have a great design and a sure fire method to make more any time I need. For this one I am going to make a special base. 1" plexi and I'm going to paint it black. Going to etch "MRCC" on the front then install white LEDs. Should look pretty sharp with the letters beaming out the light and the design nicely lit.
I done ran through my stock of 3/8 plexi with this series of 12x12 cuts, going to have to order up some more, and for kicks and going to try one with .25 plexi.