Square trestle leg profile

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
maverick0312
Model of CNC Machine: cnc router parts pro 4896 atc spindle

Square trestle leg profile

Post by maverick0312 »

I'm wondering if any of you could help me out? Sorry if its posted in the wrong section.

I’m new to Aspire 8 (1 week in fact). I have watched most of the training videos and tried my hand with most of them. I have to say it has a lot to offer, but I haven’t really learned all of the terminology so you will have to bear with me.

For this project I'm trying to make a 4 sided table leg that is 26 inches long and 8 inches in Width/diameter like in the attached photo. I know how to make a round leg using the wrapped job setup with the same profile and it all works out great just obviously round not square. I have attached the DXF leg profile that I drew up in AutoCad 2013. Do any of you have the patience to show me how this is done?

Would it be better to use a 4th axis (A axis) that rotates it 90 degrees after profiling each face or make a jig that it sits in and just flip it manually.

This is a gift to a family member so any help would be much appreciated.

mike1966
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: shopmade 5axis

Re: Square trestle leg profile

Post by mike1966 »

I make tables similar to that, the blocks on the top and bottom are done seperate on the table saw and router table because they are not router bit profiles and would have to be carved if done on the cnc.
I use the indexer to make these and edit the code so it will cut the first side then rotate and cut the next.
I attached the G-code for a roughing toolpath, I added some spaces then the code to rotate 90deg you will also need to change the Z height before it rotates, i put a note in the g code and changed it to 3in you'll probably want less.

pedistal table.jpg
Attachments
roughing toolpath.txt
(114.13 KiB) Downloaded 200 times

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Making those legs on a cnc machine has to be about the slowest method possible.

Usually square forms can be cut easily on a bandsaw. Layout the profile on all four sides. Cut one side, keep the scrap and tape it back in place. Wash, rinse and repeat 3 more times.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

mike1966
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: shopmade 5axis

Post by mike1966 »

Cutting those on the cnc is slow, it takes about 22min per side, I cut the blocks and flat section on the table saw and screw them on to the pedestal
When the pedestal is cut on the cnc it needs almost no sanding and while it is being cut I can get the table top finished, so it saves me a lot of time.

Dclifton2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: home built shopbot clone. CNC lathe

Post by Dclifton2 »

see if this will help. and yes a 4th axis would help a lot.
Don Clifton
Attachments
trestle leg sq.crv3d
(73 KiB) Downloaded 282 times

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

See this thread: ->Link

Gary Beckwith (garyb) cuts them 8 at a time on his table without using an indexer.

Gary says:
I just set up a 2 rail sweep to match the width of the 8 leg blanks.(plus a minor over run)
Set blocks on the table to push the blanks against for registration
Clamped the blanks together and ran machine relief in raster across the 8 blanks. I also clamped dunage (scrap 1x4) on the sides to control chip out
Rotated each blank 90° re-clamped and re-ran the toolpath, repeated for all sides
You will see I left an inch or so on the end to keep the blanks in the horizontal plane, which were removed at the mitre saw later
This is a more efficient way to cut tapered legs than using the indexer
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

maverick0312

Post by maverick0312 »

Dclifton2 wrote:see if this will help. and yes a 4th axis would help a lot.
Don Clifton
Don, that is exactly what I had in mind thanks. Could you explan how you went from my drawing to yours? What is that type of renderation called for future sake maybe I could find some totorial videos online. I have a lot of other leg profiles that I would like to do and the sizes change per application.

I'm thinking of following Garyb's method and rastering both legs side by side too save on time. 4 rotations instead of 8. So my 2 rail sweep will have to extend 3/4" past each leg making it around 17.5 inches wide

Thank you everybody that posted answers

Dclifton2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: home built shopbot clone. CNC lathe

Post by Dclifton2 »

I'll send you a PM private measage.

maverick0312

Post by maverick0312 »

Sorry I can't seem to open or send private messages. I'm having the administrator look into it. My email is mathew . Miller at rogers . com if you can send it that way or will have to wait till I get this problem resolved.

Thanks

W. Marks
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Panther 408ATC

Post by W. Marks »

I have some projects coming up that show a leg similar to the eight shown, although not quite as detailed, but with a tapered pocket. Am I correct in assuming that I will need Aspire to do these sort of projects? We currently V-Carve Pro.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

The 8 legs shown could be done with a moulding toolpath, which is available in VCarve Pro.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost