Calculating volume

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
jkube
Model of CNC Machine: Kronos Robotics KRMx02

Calculating volume

Post by jkube »

Is there a way to get the volume of removed material from Aspire? I have manual ways of finding out but that would be so slick if I could access that info somewhere.

jkube

Re: Calculating volume

Post by jkube »

Nobody? Nothing?

Is there a way to access the Aspire API? There isn't anything on the gadgets page that works besides the gadgets.

ssflyer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSAlpha 96x60

Post by ssflyer »

The full Aspire API is not available, however, the add-in gadget API should be available soon. I'm waiting, too.
Ron Sloan

jkube

Post by jkube »

Yeah, I guess I just mean the gadget API then. I've been doing quite a bit of searching through the forum and it seems like Vectric doesn't give much response when these questions come up.

How do you make a great product even better? Opening the gadgets up for developers would be a HUGE plus for Vectric and their customers in so many ways.

ssflyer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSAlpha 96x60

Post by ssflyer »

Hmm - I just went to the Vectric Gadget site, and either I have the wrong URL. or the developer tab is missing - it used to say, "Coming Soon."
Ron Sloan

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

How are you working it out manually?

jkube

Post by jkube »

Well, not pen and paper manually. I mean like fill it with something and see how much it holds manually. The computer telling me would be so much easier. My next thought is to write a script that goes through the gcode and adds it all up. Someone might have done this already so I need to look around.

jkube

Post by jkube »

I think the one you are thinking of is this one: http://gadgets.vectric.com

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

jkube wrote:Is there a way to get the volume of removed material from Aspire? I have manual ways of finding out but that would be so slick if I could access that info somewhere.
Just for interest, why would you want to know the volume removed, and how accurate would the answer have to be to be useful?
Working with the gcode, and knowing the tool dimensions and shape, could do it, but it is a non-trivial exercise.
If you could export the completed model as an STL, that would probably make for an easier calculation.

EDIT : Seems like calculating the volume of an STL is something the 3D printer folks do to conserve material. You may have to see if the exported STL has a bottom to it (and would therefore look like a solid volume in plastic)

http://www.makerbot.com/blog/2013/01/21 ... de-an-stl/
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

jkube

Post by jkube »

Thank you, Paul. I was checking out your programs last night, nice work.

A number for material removed is nice if you're making negative space molds. Easy to then calculate the amount of material necessary to fill the mold. Much easier than filling it with water or sand. I suppose a ballpark figure would be nice. I could always adjust for error once I played with it a bit. I'm doing relief carving with a ballnose cutter.

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

For an unsupported volume value, you can press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+V which will popup a dialog giving the approximate volume.

In my limited testing this seemed to be accurate to within 1% or better, but we had some initial reports that when people cut the part they weren't getting the same values. This may have been due to the tool not being able to cut all areas but any feedback on the accuracy of this result compared to the real world parts would be appreciated.

Brian

cac67
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joes Evo 3x2

Post by cac67 »

BrianM wrote:For an unsupported volume value, you can press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+V which will popup a dialog giving the approximate volume.

In my limited testing this seemed to be accurate to within 1% or better, but we had some initial reports that when people cut the part they weren't getting the same values. This may have been due to the tool not being able to cut all areas but any feedback on the accuracy of this result compared to the real world parts would be appreciated.

Brian
You could try it, then create shape from toolpath preview and try it on that.

cac67
Vectric Wizard

Post by cac67 »

cac67 wrote:
BrianM wrote:For an unsupported volume value, you can press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+V which will popup a dialog giving the approximate volume.

Brian
You could try it, then create shape from toolpath preview and try it on that.
Tried it, got .3256 for the model, .3306 for the model created from the toolpath preview. I deliberately used a larger bit than normal for that preview so I could have un-machined areas.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Just Curious --- why? --- do you want to know that?
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

cac67
Vectric Wizard

Post by cac67 »

Leo wrote:Just Curious --- why? --- do you want to know that?
He's making a mold and wants to know how much he's going to need to pour into it to avoid waste.