Update to V4.006 Hot keys fix

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
wcarrothers
Vectric Wizard

Update to V4.006 Hot keys fix

Post by wcarrothers »

Not to be a pest or anything. But when can we expect the update to v4.006 which corrects the hot keys so they switch function with out having to click the close button of what ever the previous function was.

(ie switching between setting size with T and moving selection with M with out having to click the close button on the setting size dialog.

Sorry just an extra click which is getting cumbersome. Not sure how this type of GUI change could have crept in.

Please help ASAP. I know sending out multiple updates can be hard to track. And think you had a little list of these differences going. Would be great to have a clear response to which ones will be addressed and when. I have not been able to keep up with the forum to figure this sorta thing out anymore.

Thanks!!

b.

hajoder
Model of CNC Machine: Isel/Techno/Kosy

Re: Update to V4.006 Hot keys fix

Post by hajoder »

Unfortunately some things have changed to be more complicated and time consuming in Aspire 4.

In the toolpath menu for example. In the past I worked quick over the different toolpaths (and sometimes there are many) to check for the right tool and maybe to group them togehter. Click, click, click and a short "corner of the eye" -view to the clearly presented datas and everthing was easy and quick . Now I have to hover over each of the different toolpaths placed on different locations in the list and have to wait until the small window pops up to give me the details I want to know for this specific toolpath.

It was the easiness of Aspire's earlier versions that I loved. Just my 2 cents... :roll:

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

wcarrothers wrote:Not to be a pest or anything. But when can we expect the update to v4.006 which corrects the hot keys so they switch function with out having to click the close button of what ever the previous function was.
Hi Bill,

I'm afraid that the method you were using was never the supported or documented way of working and is not supported in V4.0. It was reported as a bug, as there were circumstances where it could crash the program or corrupt the UI. The 'T' key has always been documented as 'Opens the Scale form for Transforming the vectors" and similarly for 'M' and 'R'. An existing form shouldn't be open when a new form is displayed and there are safeguards against this now in 4.0.

As far as I'm aware, you are the only person who has reported this as a feature rather than a bug, and therefore I assume most people use the documented ways of working.

If you are not using typed input, all the size and rotate handles are available by just clicking on the selected vectors to go from selection mode to transform/size/rotate, there is no need to press 'T' or 'M' to open the forms at all. If you are typing, you need to press Apply, and the Close button is right next to the Apply button or you can press 'Esc' on the keyboard if you have been tabbing around the form fields.

I do understand that it is frustrating when a method of working you have been accustomed to changes, but as the program develops and we add new functionality, we need to ensure that behaviour is consistent and this often involves changes to existing ways of working.

It is an unfortunate fact that for some existing users this will always mean that they don't like some of the changes, and this is why we offer trial versions for people who are uncertain that they will like the new version before they pay for upgrades.

The overall feedback we have received for Aspire 4.0 has been overwhelmingly positive and this is before people have received the new tutorials DVD's. We have made changes in response to feedback with regard to alignment tools and toolpath naming where a number of people had issues with the new way of working. However, the M/T/R keys changing modes while an existing form was open was never intended to be a way of working and isn't supported by the program structure.

Brian

wcarrothers
Vectric Wizard

Post by wcarrothers »

Ok. Thought I read some where that, that symptom would be addressed.

I do exact sizes for things. So I am often either clicking on a vector or box or shape and altering it to an exact size rather they dragging it bigger or smaller and alternately, moving it to an exact spot. This I move from the T dialog to the M a lot

In the previous version I could select a vector and hit T. And adjust its size. Then hit M and move it where I wanted. Now I have to hit T and adjust the size, cancel out then hit M, and cancel out.

I'm not sure how that could not be considered normal operation, ie, wanting to switch between dialogs with what I thought was a valid hot key with out having to cancel what ever the previous dialog was.

Anyway will be unhappy with this change or update in anycase.

I'm not talking about a form, but using the set size and move dialog ps in the left pinned strip.

Basicly what I mean is if T is up the hot key for another function does not work untill you cancel..

B.

wcarrothers
Vectric Wizard

Post by wcarrothers »

Just tinkering, Think I can add an esc key to the end to clear it befor the next hot key.

B.