Angle head

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
expart

Angle head

Post by expart »

Hello,

is it possible to make a toolpath in Aspire for angle head like this: http://tinyurl.com/axag393 ? I don't even dream about turning the head over the Z axis it will be in one posision over the X axis.

I would like to use it for makeing the pockets for hinges (like those http://tinyurl.com/a2mknpd).

Kindest regards,
expart.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Re: Angle head

Post by ger21 »

Yes, you can, as long as the tool diameter is the same as the height of the hinge.

However, you need to tell aspire you're using a normal vertical tool, and all entry and exit moves are completely up to you. And the preview will show something vompletely different then what you'd actually be doing.

You basically just draw a 2D vector. Start outside the door, at one end of the hinge. Move in the correct depth, move over, and back out. So, the toolpath will just be a 2D "U" shape. If you need to cut it in multiple passes, then you'll need a separate vector for each pass.

If you make any mistakes, results will likely be very bad.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

expart

Post by expart »

It will be complicated to use tool with the same diameter :(

Maybe somebody can make a Gadget? Please?

Best regards,
expart.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I think this is where is would be nice to have g-coding skills. I programmed in g-code for many years before ever using cam.

I don't know how, but maybe you can swap around the "Z" axis with either the "Y" or "X" depending on how you machine is setup.

You could program in Vectric in a normal way - but swap the axis plugs on your machine.

I dunno - but - there must be some creative way to do it.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I expect Mach3 has an extension of some sort to swap axis in the code around. It's in the ShopBot software and most of the time whatever I've seen in the Shopbot software is in Mach3 somewhere as well.

4240harold
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: weeke bhp200

Post by 4240harold »

Would you not need , a left and right hand cutter to avoid chip out on exit
Harold

expart

Post by expart »

I'll try with swaping axises. Thanks!

4240harold wrote:Would you not need , a left and right hand cutter to avoid chip out on exit
Harold
What do you mean?

dond52
Vectric Craftsman

Post by dond52 »

Hello expart, You could try using the following g code to swap the plane selection:

G-code definitions found at the following page:
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode.html
Attachments
G code Plane Selection.JPG

cabnet636
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster 508 ATC

Post by cabnet636 »

unless you are wanting to use it for some large production runs then machinery makes sense, we have made jigs for the SOSS hinges and it takes minutes to rout, a CAMaster has the ability for the Zhead to extend beyond the table bed, this allows for end boring,, a shopbot can do this as well
James McGrew
http://www.mcgrewwoodwork.com
CAMaster ATC 508 24/7 http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

4240harold
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: weeke bhp200

Post by 4240harold »

Sorry expart
Just looked at first picture of aggregate and thought you were talking about butt. Hinges
We cut out butt hinges on edge of doors using an aggregate with left and right rotation cutters
Don't know how this could be done in aspire, but it would be a nice addition
I was asked once to carve a names on table edges for a restaurant

expart

Post by expart »

4240harold wrote:Sorry expart
Just looked at first picture of aggregate and thought you were talking about butt. Hinges
We cut out butt hinges on edge of doors using an aggregate with left and right rotation cutters
Don't know how this could be done in aspire, but it would be a nice addition
I was asked once to carve a names on table edges for a restaurant
I can imagine a lot of tasks which could be solved easier with such a head - dowels, etc.. agree that it would be nice (vectric team, can you agree? ;-) )

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The issue I could see with an angled head like that is that you would need to get the material raised off the machine bed as the distance between the bottom of it and and the centreline is much greater than the likely thickness of the material.

Not sure how easy/possible it is do on other machines but on a ShopBot it's possible to clamp material vertically at the end of the table which makes edge routing very easy. I've done it several times with pieces the size of cabinet doors although I could go as big as 50" x 36" x 4".

dr_loco
Model of CNC Machine: Masterwood Atlas KL

Post by dr_loco »

There hasn't been an update to this post in a while. Has there been any progress with the use of these tool holders? I have a fixed 90 and adjustable aggregate I was hoping to be able to use with Aspire. I also have a fixed 90 boring spindle on my CNC I was also hoping to use. Any help from those who use these tools would be helpful.

Thank you.

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Vectric software does not support aggregate heads out of the box. That said, with some careful thought, clever toolpath design and maybe even throwing some C axis rotation into the tool notes section, this can happen with most control software brands.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com