Sand Blasting

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
vfauto
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artsian 72"

Sand Blasting

Post by vfauto »

Has any one ever tryed to sandblast wooden carvings for finish sanding? If we were I would assume it would be a very fine powder like sand? :?:
Thank You
Frank

Joe Crumley
Vectric Wizard

Re: SAND BLASTING

Post by Joe Crumley »

Frank,

I'm not going to say it couldn't be done but It's not likely to work. I've been making my living sandblasting signs and I'd like for you to know it takes away detail from sharp edges first. I think you'd end up with a very smooth carving if you weren't awful careful. Besides the dust is down right dangerous. I believe the most gentle blasting is done with Soda. It' not too aggresive.

Joe Crumley

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Re: Sand Blasting

Post by dhellew2 »

I sandblast wood all the time in a sanding cabinet. You must use care because the soft grain will go first. I use silica sand. The blast cabinet is hooked to a vacuum which removes the dust.
Most of the time I just use it to remove fuzz left by the cutters.

For less aggressive sanding you can use walnut shell, glass beads, other media, and reduce air pressure.

As Joe said, beware of the dust, especially silica sand.

If you are going to do a lot of sandblasting you can get a cabinet for under $300 if you shop the web.

This is the one I have ($235)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Summit-Sandblas ... ls&vxp=mtr

If you buy one be certain you seal the joints or they will leak. I used rope caulk.

Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

milo30
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Chinese ATC 4X8 with Centroid Acorn

Re: Sand Blasting

Post by milo30 »

No experience with wood but some experience with fiberglass. You wouldn't use sand, too abrasive. There are different medias such as walnut, soda and other materials. We couldn't use sand because it would pit up fiberglass but we could use walnut or baking soda to strip paint without effecting the material under it. Definitely want a cabinet to do it in. Walnut might get you a good effect depending on what you are looking for.